Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 6:20 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Meanings of “God” in some scriptures
RE: Meanings of “God” in some scriptures
(July 9, 2018 at 1:09 am)robvalue Wrote: (The following is meant to be friendly constructive criticism Smile )

Smile Don’t worry, that’s exactly how it looks to me.

I’m sorry for all the confusion I’ve created, and I’m grateful to you and others who have groped your way through it, trying to find me. The benefits for me have been wonderful.

I would welcome some more critical examination of how I use the word “God,” from people who don’t use it, if anyone would volunteer for it, but I not sure there would be any benefit in it for anyone but me. Anyway, I’ll describe it again, hopefully in a way that will clear up some of the confusion.

Sometimes I study some religious scriptures for personal reasons which for my purposes don’t need to be discussed, but which I’m willing to discuss if anyone wants to. Those scriptures often use the word “God,” in such a variety of ways that I’ve given up trying to find any meaning in that word, by itself, which means that I have no opinion about whether it corresponds to anything that exists or is real.

I do see meanings in the expressions that use that word, mostly as if it’s the name of some being in the world with powers beyond those of human beings, but sometimes as if it’s the name of a being that allegedly created the universe. I’ve found it useful for some of my purposes which, again, don’t need to be discussed unless someone wants to, to use that word, “God” in some of those same ways in my thinking. I’ve also found it helpful for communicating with some people sometimes. I’ve used those “God” expressions in my thinking so much and for so long that I don’t always know how to say what I think about some of the things that matter the most to me, without using them, and sometimes it takes a lot of time, effort, and painful trial-and-error to find a way.
- Jim

Messages In This Thread
RE: Meanings of “God” in some scriptures - by jimhabegger - July 9, 2018 at 5:37 am