Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 14, 2024, 10:55 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roku/FireStick/WhatThing people, what's good?
RE: Roku/FireStick/WhatThing people, what's good?
(December 28, 2018 at 2:00 pm)Gae Bolga Wrote:
(December 28, 2018 at 5:41 am)Jörmungandr Wrote: I've been largely unimpressed with Chromecast.  The content question aside, the implementation sucks.  Casting shit always comes with problems, and I don't think it's the content, it's the Chromecast software itself.  I have all sorts of issues watching things with my Chromecast.  Considerably less issues with other streaming media products and technology, mainly problems with the DVR function with Playstation VUE.  So, you're welcome to your opinion, but clearly, YMMV!

It can be, yeah.  I've found that I have issues using my android phone that I don't have with my iphone (and vv)...but...and here's something alot of folks don't know...you can cast from any pc connected to the same network*, as well...which is free of the ticks of mobiles.  I'm not sure what the content question is, though..there's nothing that any of the other devices can access that chrome cant, whereas the other devices actually do have marketing and exclusion agreements.  

*It's the mirror option, if you hadn't tried it.  I mostly use it to put identical fish screensavers on all of my tvs, lol...that and playing music through the house, obvs.  My tv's all have native streaming that use our phones as a remote - and that's honestly the best option.  Every one of the sticks and boxes was a transitional stopgap that got heavily monetized.

I am casting from a PC. I haven't done anything but. The issues aren't exclusive to Android and iOS, apparently.

I use Chromecasting for multiple things from casting music from various web based music apps to casting NFL games from my streaming service's DVR to watching a live broadcast via Chromecast from a web app of my cable TV provider. I have issues with all of them.

Since I don't have an iOS based device and cannot afford one, I'll take your assertion that it is problem free on that platform with a grain of salt. It is not so on the PC, in spite of your assertion to the contrary.

(As a side note, I've found the mirror option, when I've been stupid enough to try it, to be the worst offender of all.)

Again. YMMV.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Roku/FireStick/WhatThing people, what's good? - by Dr H - December 19, 2018 at 8:06 pm
RE: Roku/FireStick/WhatThing people, what's good? - by Shell B - December 21, 2018 at 10:05 am
RE: Roku/FireStick/WhatThing people, what's good? - by Angrboda - December 27, 2018 at 11:51 am
RE: Roku/FireStick/WhatThing people, what's good? - by Angrboda - December 28, 2018 at 11:28 am
RE: Roku/FireStick/WhatThing people, what's good? - by Angrboda - December 28, 2018 at 3:04 pm
RE: Roku/FireStick/WhatThing people, what's good? - by Angrboda - December 29, 2018 at 11:42 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Good music is....good Dean-o 7 2593 June 25, 2011 at 11:39 am
Last Post: popeyespappy