Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 8:08 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trying to understand the history behind Russell's Paradox
RE: Trying to understand the history behind Russell's Paradox
I think I get it now. The one-to-one mapping is done randomly, not based on any specific set of guidelines. When an entity is mapped to a subclass, it either is mapped to a subclass that contains it or it's mapped to a subclass that does not contain it. Sometimes it's possible that all entities are each mapped to a subclass that contains it, in which case it will not be possible to show that the one-to-one mapping f is impossible. Other times, however, some of the entities will be mapped to subclasses that don't respectively contain them, in which case it is then possible to show how the mapping f is impossible (because in this case one of the subclasses could not logically map back on to any of the entities, which means the number of the subclasses is greater than the number of the corresponding initial entities).

Did I get this right?

Messages In This Thread
RE: Trying to understand the history behind Russell's Paradox - by Grandizer - December 19, 2018 at 8:13 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Not sure I understand basic calculus... FlatAssembler 7 1053 February 16, 2019 at 10:53 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  The Paradox of Hilbert's Hotel Vincenzo Vinny G. 5 3381 October 4, 2013 at 1:38 am
Last Post: Cato
Smile Reverse Russell's Paradox AthiestAtheist 15 9402 February 21, 2012 at 9:40 pm
Last Post: AthiestAtheist