Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 4:15 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is the next age? (i.e., industrial age)
RE: What is the next age? (i.e., industrial age)
We are currently in the Information Age.

I imagine there are many people here who don't remember the world before knowledge and easy-access to the internet exploded in the mid-1990s. I remember it though (born 27May1959). Sometimes I have a hard time imagining how I lived prior to that explosion. It was a different world. I would not want to go back there. The instant access we have to near the total sum of knowledge of human kind is just so freaking awesome!

I consider the rise of the internet to be the "black swan" event of my lifetime. It changed everything. So this is the Information Age.

The next age will involve artificial intelligence. That might well lead to extinction or it might lead to the transformation of humans into god-like beings. I couldn't hazard a guess at this point but I strongly suspect the age of artificial intelligence will make the transformation into the Information Age seem very trivial by comparison. Whatever you call it, the next age may be the one that establishes the turning point. Will an explosion of intelligence result in our extinction at the hands of our creations, an extinction at the hands of ourselves or a course correction on the path to near-godhood?

I won't attempt to answer that question but I think those are the stakes.

The next age is HUGE, whatever it is.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein

Messages In This Thread
What is the next age? (i.e., industrial age) - by Aegon - January 29, 2019 at 8:09 pm
RE: What is the next age? (i.e., industrial age) - by brewer - January 29, 2019 at 9:28 pm
RE: What is the next age? (i.e., industrial age) - by no one - January 30, 2019 at 2:38 pm
RE: What is the next age? (i.e., industrial age) - by Alan V - January 30, 2019 at 5:03 pm
RE: What is the next age? (i.e., industrial age) - by Dr H - January 31, 2019 at 8:47 pm
RE: What is the next age? (i.e., industrial age) - by AFTT47 - March 27, 2019 at 12:48 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Captcha - what next? zvi 9 2541 June 23, 2012 at 12:19 am
Last Post: Faith No More