Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 3:04 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The end of recycling?
RE: The end of recycling?
(February 23, 2019 at 6:17 pm)fredd bear Wrote: @Yonadav

Distressing to learn.

In Australia, we have a pretty good recycling  system;

Domestic level: separation of recyclable material into separate bin.

Overall: there is 10 cent deposit on metal, glass and plastic bottles and cans. There are  recycling centres where you may take your container. The boot (trunk)of my car holds about $40 worth of containers. Thats a lot of stuffing around, and space needed while you save until you have enough. Nearest recycling centre is a ten minute drive away.  I tend not to bother. I just put the containers in my recycling bin.

One rarely sees an empty bottle/can on the side of roads, or in public places, including the beach. There is also  a largish group of people who go around collecting from public places.

I expect my government may keep the current system in place, and quietly begin dumping the stuff as landfill. Yep, they are exactly that stupidly dishonest. We'll find out eventually; that kind of deception is hard to hide for long; too many people know about it

A couple of weeks ago, I bought a shopping trolley.** This is helping me cut right back on my use of plastic bags. ---Here; large single use plastic bags are prohibited. Supermarkets now sell multi use plastic bags for 15 cents.This simple practice has reduced our use by millions of bags annually, in this state alone.

**Ebay, $35 delivered. It's like a large bag on wheels. It has three wheels on each side ,so it can climb stairs

We have done the same thing with bags in several of our larger cities. When I lived in Chicago I was involved in the push to ban the single use plastic bags there. I live in a tiny town now. I always take my backpack grocery shopping with me, to load my groceries into after paying for them. They think its weird, because no one brings their own bag to the store with them around here. They got the bright idea of telling me that I couldn't carry my backpack in the store with me. I fought them on that, and they decided to change their minds.
We do not inherit the world from our parents. We borrow it from our children.

Messages In This Thread
The end of recycling? - by Gawdzilla Sama - February 23, 2019 at 8:12 am
RE: The end of recycling? - by Yonadav - February 23, 2019 at 12:08 pm
RE: The end of recycling? - by Gawdzilla Sama - February 23, 2019 at 1:38 pm
RE: The end of recycling? - by fredd bear - February 23, 2019 at 6:17 pm
RE: The end of recycling? - by Yonadav - February 23, 2019 at 6:31 pm
RE: The end of recycling? - by fredd bear - February 23, 2019 at 11:43 pm
RE: The end of recycling? - by Angrboda - February 24, 2019 at 8:20 pm
RE: The end of recycling? - by fredd bear - February 25, 2019 at 12:48 am