Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 11:03 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Out of court settlements should be illegal.
RE: Out of court settlements should be illegal.
(February 16, 2022 at 4:25 am)onlinebiker Wrote: Hadn' t the statute of limitations ran out?

Yep, it did. At least the criminal SoL did. And now that I have some information on what the New York SoL for cases like that was at the time, I can do some more elaboration.

Giuffre filed the suit due to the State of New York expanding the SoL for cases such as these. Since Giuffre was 17 in March 2001, when the abuse was alleged to have taken place, under the old law, she would have either until March 2006 to file criminal charges, or her 21st birthday in August 2004 to file a civil lawsuit. She did neither.

Then in August 2019, Governor Cuomo temporarily expanded the SoL for such cases. For criminal cases, it was until the victim reached the age of 28, and for civil cases, until the victim reached 55 years old. When the SoL changed, she was 36, therefore, a civil suit was her only option.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.

Messages In This Thread
Out of court settlements should be illegal. - by Duty - February 15, 2022 at 6:38 pm
RE: Out of court settlements should be illegal. - by Duty - February 15, 2022 at 7:07 pm
RE: Out of court settlements should be illegal. - by brewer - February 15, 2022 at 8:11 pm
RE: Out of court settlements should be illegal. - by Rev. Rye - February 15, 2022 at 11:15 pm
RE: Out of court settlements should be illegal. - by GUBU - February 17, 2022 at 1:16 pm
RE: Out of court settlements should be illegal. - by Foxaèr - February 15, 2022 at 11:32 pm
RE: Out of court settlements should be illegal. - by Rev. Rye - February 16, 2022 at 12:08 am
RE: Out of court settlements should be illegal. - by Rev. Rye - February 16, 2022 at 8:31 pm