Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 6:07 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Favorite Bioware Characters?
RE: Favorite Bioware Characters?

I no longer have the energy and desire to make another hour-long post detailing why I disagree (yet again).

Bleh, you like what you like.

Fun fact: I can like evil characters (read: Isabella), but only if they are interesting as a character. I can maul the traitorous bitch if I want, and she certainly is nowhere near as intriguing to me as Zevran... but out of the shit that DAII is, she happens to be one of the better characters. Don't make me rant about how much I hate all of the characters from DAII (excluding Varric and Sarcastic Hawke), and dislike several things about DA, most notably a few of the characters. In particular... Loghain as a party member. (I love that I ranted anyway, hahahahaha.)

But the difference between the two games... is that Morrigan, Alistair, Shale, Oghren, Wynne, Leilana, Zevran, and Sten... while all flawed in their own ways, have come together under a common banner roughly involving saving Ferelden from the Blight and the Civil war.

The decent story of DA acts as prop for many character flaws, and allows them to stand out and apart from each other where they would otherwise have been mostly uninteresting.

There is no macrostory in DAII... leaving no prop for boring characters. Had Fenris and Anders been in the first game: they would have been fascinating. Anders in awakening was an awesome character (then suddenly got a stick up his ass and became a whiney emo bitch in DAII).

Varric was cool in DAII, but in DA he would have been incredible. Hell, even Merrill would have been respectable in DA, her background was relevant then and the game could really have used a blood mage (or they could have given you your friend from the mage opening, heh).

Isabella is the only character better where she is... albeit I find her repeated traitorous acts aggravating, and she is honestly a very shallow character. It's easier for a shallow character to stand out in a shallow game... she'd have been a poor man's Zevran in DA.

Aveline would have been excellent in DA, Carver/Bethany would all have been better for it (instead of the utter shit they are), all the DLC characters for DAII would have done better... DAII's "story?" holds every one of these otherwise (perhaps) decent characters down. Had the game had a good story that presented the eventual theme from the beginning (the Templar/Circle conflict)... DAII would have been an excellent game. Instead we deal with taking from the Deep Roads, fighting Qunari stuck in a city, and massive multi-year jumps used as a plot device to put massive amounts of time where it shouldn't be. The singular time this was used well was the very beginning, when you've essentially been sold for a year... everywhere else it feels unreal, ridiculous, usually pointless (aftermath of the Qunari event and transition from the deep roads, hell I don't remember if there were others), and there is no clear indicator that time has passed where it matters most: your companions, who have exactly as much nothing to do as you do.

A story is the difference between Flemeth being an old hag who talks too much, and being an ancient and powerful witch and philosopher. DAII doesn't have it.
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day

Messages In This Thread
Favorite Bioware Characters? - by Aegrus - February 26, 2012 at 1:24 am
RE: Favorite Bioware Characters? - by NoMoreFaith - February 26, 2012 at 7:55 am
RE: Favorite Bioware Characters? - by Aegrus - February 26, 2012 at 5:27 pm
RE: Favorite Bioware Characters? - by Violet - February 26, 2012 at 10:46 pm
RE: Favorite Bioware Characters? - by passionatefool - February 26, 2012 at 11:42 pm
RE: Favorite Bioware Characters? - by Aegrus - February 26, 2012 at 11:46 pm
RE: Favorite Bioware Characters? - by Aegrus - February 26, 2012 at 11:51 pm
RE: Favorite Bioware Characters? - by Violet - February 27, 2012 at 12:51 am
RE: Favorite Bioware Characters? - by leo-rcc - February 27, 2012 at 9:37 am
RE: Favorite Bioware Characters? - by Violet - February 27, 2012 at 12:37 am
RE: Favorite Bioware Characters? - by AshesEmoFae - February 26, 2012 at 11:48 pm
RE: Favorite Bioware Characters? - by Aegrus - February 27, 2012 at 12:45 am
RE: Favorite Bioware Characters? - by Aegrus - February 27, 2012 at 8:45 am
RE: Favorite Bioware Characters? - by thebigfudge - February 27, 2012 at 8:50 am
RE: Favorite Bioware Characters? - by Jaysyn - February 27, 2012 at 9:52 am
RE: Favorite Bioware Characters? - by Aegrus - February 27, 2012 at 9:59 am
RE: Favorite Bioware Characters? - by leo-rcc - February 27, 2012 at 10:09 am
RE: Favorite Bioware Characters? - by Aegrus - February 27, 2012 at 10:15 am
RE: Favorite Bioware Characters? - by NoMoreFaith - February 27, 2012 at 3:00 pm
RE: Favorite Bioware Characters? - by Violet - February 27, 2012 at 2:49 pm
RE: Favorite Bioware Characters? - by Napoléon - February 27, 2012 at 11:07 am
RE: Favorite Bioware Characters? - by Napoléon - February 27, 2012 at 3:00 pm
RE: Favorite Bioware Characters? - by Violet - February 27, 2012 at 3:10 pm
RE: Favorite Bioware Characters? - by Napoléon - February 27, 2012 at 3:41 pm
RE: Favorite Bioware Characters? - by Aegrus - February 27, 2012 at 4:06 pm
RE: Favorite Bioware Characters? - by Napoléon - February 27, 2012 at 4:14 pm
RE: Favorite Bioware Characters? - by Aegrus - February 27, 2012 at 5:49 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Who Are Your Favorite Fictional Characters (tv, movies, literature etc.)? Kernel Sohcahtoa 93 8605 September 20, 2016 at 10:30 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Your top three GoT characters? Foxaèr 53 5359 June 15, 2015 at 11:27 am
Last Post: FatAndFaithless
  Hypocrisy in the Hollywood portrayal of overweight characters Tea Earl Grey Hot 8 2698 February 10, 2013 at 4:46 pm
Last Post: Tea Earl Grey Hot
  Favorite characters, and beyond.... Angrboda 66 29719 July 6, 2012 at 9:06 pm
Last Post: Reforged