Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 9, 2024, 6:31 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stuck
RE: Stuck
orogenicman Wrote:If you no longer believe, and coming out destroys their faith, why is that a bad thing for them but not for you?
It's not that bad for me at all because I come from a country called Chile in South America which is mostly Catholic. As a result I have been raised by Catholic parents that did their duty of taking me to religion classes and doing all the rituals up until confirmation. Since then they haven't talked about God in I don't know how many years. They even stopped going to church 3 years ago because their favourite church father moved somewhere else. So pretty much they don't see religion as anything big.

My friends on the other hand come from families with born again parents. They are the 3rd or 4th generation of born again Christians. The Bible is the absolute truth that they live by and I don't want to be responsible for wrecking the families by potentially deconverting some, if ever.

Quote:Bt my own experience tells me that losing faith does not happen overnight. It tok me years to confront the fact that I don't believe.
Yeah I reckon they wouldn't convert overnight, if ever, because most of them have grown up surrounded by born again people. It's the only thing they know.

ChadWooters Wrote:You don't have to keep studying atheism to prove to yourself that you're an atheist. You just are. Move on.
To move on I need to be able to live and act the way that I believe is right. This is what isn't happening because of the pressure exerted by my circle of friends.

Quote:Next, people expect college age people to 'question their faith'. You may already have decided, but you need not present to others your conviction...more your general lack of interest. Non-commital phrases like, "I just don't see the point," or "It does make sense to me anymore..." will get you far.
Yeah, that's good advice! Thanks.

Zen Badger Wrote:Don't forget that Kichi and I live in Perth.

If you want to talk it out over a beer or two(or three,or four,or....)

Let us know.
I appreciate that.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" ~ Aristotle

Messages In This Thread
Stuck - by FallentoReason - April 17, 2012 at 12:16 am
RE: Stuck - by orogenicman - April 17, 2012 at 12:29 am
RE: Stuck - by FallentoReason - April 17, 2012 at 12:58 am
RE: Stuck - by Mister Agenda - April 17, 2012 at 9:54 am
RE: Stuck - by Minimalist - April 17, 2012 at 12:54 am
RE: Stuck - by orogenicman - April 17, 2012 at 1:11 am
RE: Stuck - by Neo-Scholastic - April 17, 2012 at 8:35 am
RE: Stuck - by Zen Badger - April 17, 2012 at 8:58 am
RE: Stuck - by FallentoReason - April 17, 2012 at 9:41 am
RE: Stuck - by kılıç_mehmet - April 17, 2012 at 1:05 pm
RE: Stuck - by Faith No More - April 17, 2012 at 1:44 pm