Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 3:23 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
everyone (else) seems to be hating on atheists
RE: everyone (else) seems to be hating on atheists
(May 25, 2012 at 1:56 pm)Aiza Wrote:
(May 25, 2012 at 10:29 am)RaphielDrake Wrote: Atheist isolation is a result of a society that has been completely over-run by an "ideal" victimizing those who don't buy into it and to say we have not been persecuted is a gross mistake. No violence? Are you kidding me? We get threatened with violence by religious types all the time.
I get threatened by violence too. I think the internet age makes threats of violence pretty easy.

Who actually gets victimized by real religiously motivated violence? Primarily Jews, Muslims and the occasional Christian (though Christians are still underrepresented). Not atheists.

Also, well...yes black people did experience a holocaust of sorts, well over a million-2 million people were killed during the trans-Atlantic slave trade. Again, what is the death toll for these terrible and scarring atheist persecutions? Give me a rough estimate. My total for atheist persecutions is so laughably low its a crime to even begin to compare to genuine persecutions where thousands of men, women and children were killed off, driven from their homes, had their culture destroyed, etc. I have a grand whopping total of maybe 1, 1-3 if you count general hate crimes on top of state-sponsored persecutions--and thats for the entirety of human history, I'm not even limiting things to our recent history, but literally all of human recorded history and I found 1-3. Please tell me if I am missing any more.

And as for "media putting out propaganda" against you I haven't seen too much honestly. Doing a Google News search for say Muslim, gets me "Muslim soldier convicted in failed plot to bomb Fort Hood troops..." as the 4th result. Searching for "Catholic" gets me "The Catholic Church's inquisition of American nuns" (lol oh geez) as the second result. Atheist? I get "Atheists get religion all wrong" as the 6th result. Most of the results seem neutral. The media is sensationalist in general, sure, but in terms of media victimization I don't think they have it worst than anyone else, probably even better.

Also I was an atheist kid throughout jr high and highschool, I was never victimized. Many of my peers were atheist or irreligious, and maybe 1 was a devout Catholic (he is now a priest). Personally, as I mentioned earlier, I am afraid to tell my athiest friends that I converted to Catholicism and am planning to become a sister.

I was talking of the civil rights movement as you well know and thats exactly what this is. Is the ages past where people have been butchered for not believing in a particular God not enough? Just because the inquisitions ended doesn't mean you get to act like they never happened. We endured a period of violence like those of Africian descent, now we are in our civil rights period and we demand that we not be persecuted. That we not be told we're going to burn or that we are not morale or that we are less for not being religious. We are not devil worshippers and some of the most morale and intelligent have been atheists. Atheists are one of the least violent minorities, thats a fact. If incidents of violence are low then maybe you should thank the fact we're practically invisible when it comes to announcing our views and our passive nature in the face of aggression for that. We are humans and good ones at that, we should not be treated as less. Stop acting like you're too stupid to realize that violence doesn't have to be involved to subjugate a minorities rights as has been proven throughout history. Its insulting to both of us.

If an atheist is brave enough not to hide the fact he is an atheist he is victimized, if he stands up for himself he is threatened and if he responds to the threat then he is assaulted. Thats facts.
Two words in the case of media, fox news. One of the most powerful media companies in America. Owned by Rupert Murdoch who goes to great lengths in all of his many media companies spanning from Australia, to America, to England to discredit and shun atheists whenever possible. The only thing you've managed to prove is that we should be grateful he has little control over the internet.
An "atheist kid", really? Tell me, did you tell anyone you were an atheist? I sincerely doubt it. What changed your mind about evidence being a better alternative to faith? What age were you when you abandoned relying on your faculties to discern reality?

"That is not dead which can eternal lie and with strange aeons even death may die." 
- Abdul Alhazred.

Messages In This Thread
RE: everyone (else) seems to be hating on atheists - by Reforged - May 25, 2012 at 4:12 pm