Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 3:48 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
everyone (else) seems to be hating on atheists
RE: everyone (else) seems to be hating on atheists
(May 25, 2012 at 5:17 pm)Aiza Wrote: I am not. But the Inquisition targeted mainly Jewish converts and Protestants (heretics). Not atheists. Atheism back then didn't even mean what we meant it today, so the two people I could find accused of "atheism" back then were a non-Trinitarian Christian and a pantheist. (Similarly, in much earlier times, an "atheist" was one who didn't respect the government of the state--so many early Christians were charged with "atheism". Interesting how language evolves over time). Also makes it very weird when some atheists try to throw the Inquisition in the face of Protestants, when Protestants were the primary victims.
Atheists did not endure any period of violence like those of African descent. Over a million African people were killed directly and/or enslaved, vs. atheists who experienced what, exactly? Trying to compare it to the persecutions of those of "African descent" is what is insulting.

Atheism is a lack of belief. They did not believe in your interpretation so your kind butchered and tortured them along with anyone who decided they didn't believe any interpretation. Everytime one of your moronic denominations decided to have a pissing contest we get caught in the middle. The fact that the word "atheist" was used to demonize should tell you everything you need to know. It comes from the original greek word "atheos" which means without God. Your kind twisted it to mean something else, thanks for demonstrating that. I already made it clear that I was talking about civil rights. If you continue to falsely suggest that I was talking of their enslavement we will end this conversation. I will not tolerate you twisting my words like your religion has done with so many other peoples words. You also have no right to be insulted on the behalf of another minority, none.

Quote:Really? Atheists perpetuated the vast majority of anti-religious persecutions of recent history. Irreligious are also statistically more aggressive (see studies posted prior), and irreligious youth in particular are more likely to get into fights and carry weaponry. I mean, I don't think this justifies anti-atheist attitudes, but that's a weird "fact" you just gave there.
Prove it, now. I would also like to point out that catholicism isn't just responsible for death via violence. I wouldn't even dare to guess at how many more have died as the result of STDs in the world alone thanks to your Popes golden advice. Who knew the voice of God could say such ugly things? Oh thats right, we did.

Quote:Is it? Because incidents of anti-atheist motivated assault are tiny. You just got through saying that people can be persecuted in non-violent ways (which is fair), and then you try to bring in stuff like assault or the persecution of black folk and compare that to "anti-atheist discrimination". Undecided
Because we do not often respond to your kinds insults. You tell us we're going to hell, that we're less than human. You say we are immorale and you attempt to isolate us. Why? Because we do not attribute our morality to something we cannot prove exists. We are persecuted in both violent and non-violent ways. Most of it occurs through threats, propoganda and demonization. What do you find so hard to grasp about this? Its disgusting behavior and I find it positively repulsive you would attempt to suggest it doesn't even occur. It does, whether you admit it or not. Your lack of experience on this subject is painfully obvious.

Quote:Well yes, most of my friends all knew I was atheist, and many of my family (not my mother though and I am glad for that).

Also nothing changed my mind about evidence, I don't think the word "Faith" means what you think it does.
You were afraid to tell your own mother and you're trying to tell me atheists aren't penalized?
Ha ha ha, ok. I mean I've only got the dictionaries definition to go by... oh and I've read the entire Bible cover to cover.... oh and I was a catholic for about half of my life... oh and I was a buddhist for three years... oh and I learnt about every other religion to one extent or another through study. Lets hear your particular definition of "faith". Let me just buckle up for this rip roaring and highly educational ride.

Bottom-line? We're done hiding while your more fanatical factions screw up the world in ever more colorful ways. We will fight your dogma in the way that best reflects our minority, with reason, knowledge and logic. Not with the aggresion and hatred we have come to expect from theism.
That is not and never will be our way.
(May 25, 2012 at 5:46 pm)Jesus Pipes Wrote: A lot of atheists just like to bash theists. Probably most of the users on here joined to say how much religion sucks. I'm not saying this is the reason everybody hates on atheists, but I'm sure it doesn't help. Everyone would hate an atheist even if they were nothing but tolerant and accepting. It's just not good for politics to like an atheist. It's hard not to return the hate cast upon you.

Quick question, am I going to hell to burn forever and ever for not believing what you believe.
Don't be shy, I'm very politely asking you an honest question.
"That is not dead which can eternal lie and with strange aeons even death may die." 
- Abdul Alhazred.

Messages In This Thread
RE: everyone (else) seems to be hating on atheists - by Reforged - May 25, 2012 at 6:17 pm