Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 1:04 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
everyone (else) seems to be hating on atheists
RE: everyone (else) seems to be hating on atheists
(May 28, 2012 at 3:27 am)Kayenneh Wrote: Sorry for butting in, but I wanted to give my 2 cents. Smile

I can only speak for myself, but I think at least a few here can agree with me, since it's put into practice everyday. Debates and discussions can get heated, insults might be thrown around, but show outside these threads that you're a nice person and your belief will be overlooked or ignored. To me there are many theists here that I can't see eye to eye with when it comes to religious topics, but as human beings I like them just fine. This is after all a forum to discuss both sides, it is a small battlefield, but I try not to forget that there is another person sitting on the opposite end.
Unfortunately there will be those, who will come across as insolent, bigoted and mean persons, no matter what they say and no matter what the topic. If it is due to the conversation being on the net or if that person actually is a piece of shit, I cannot say. But those can fortunately be put on ignore Big Grin
So yes, I agree, there is definitely a middle, just not in the debates. Wink

I hope I'm not the one butting in now if you were specifically addressing jesuspipes. I don't know about you but when I come across someone reasonable who fundamentally disagrees with me my interest is tapped. I'm always hoping to find an intelligent conservative, for example, who will tell me how they see and value things that makes them want such different things politically than I want.

I suppose the questions I'd ask jesuspipes by way of exploring our differences would be what he thinks is the nature of this higher power. Is it something on-board or is it out-there? I believe in a 'higher' power on-board in a totality-of-consciousness/Joseph Campbell sort of way. I don't however believe in assigning ranks to the various aspects of consciousness. I don't think any part is in charge while other parts wait for marching orders. Waking consciousness is ostensibly in charge of choices but the totality of consciousness can support or disrupt your endeavors as it too acts to protect our being. It touches on the free will debate, we are consciously free to pursue what we want but perhaps it is the totality of consciousness with its attention to the bigger picture and pre-verbal mammalian brain which determines what we want.

Our capacity for language is a fairly recent development. Our ability to realize risks and opportunities and to act on intentions far out dates our ability to articulate in words any of it. It still goes on inside of us all. Language trails behind or signals to colleagues suggestions for group efforts. Solid reasoning, the idea of establishing validity preserving patterns of thought, is a much more recent yet development. Some would say it is our greatest achievement and that reason should gather the reigns of action and be the final arbiter of all our actions. I personally question both the feasibility and advisability of such an endeavor.

Messages In This Thread
RE: everyone (else) seems to be hating on atheists - by Whateverist - May 28, 2012 at 11:42 am