Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 3:36 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
everyone (else) seems to be hating on atheists
RE: everyone (else) seems to be hating on atheists
[quote='Aiza' pid='292187' dateline='1338420483']
Well....what if the Catholics explicitly identified themselves as "theists" and had some giant "theist forum" and a thread called "everyone seems to be hating on theists". I think it would be perfectly fair to talk about theists killing and suppressing atheists, even if no one shared an ideology (I hope!) with the killers.[/quote]

Probably one of them would explain that despite the title of the forum, there are hardly any Hindus here and we're getting tired of responding to tirades about them.

You are the one making the claim. I think you'd pick it up just from cultural osmosis, particularly in 1928.[/quote]

That is a claim in itself. I don't think either of us has a leg to stand on, as I pointed out some posts ago when I mentioned we just have different opinions on the topic. These would be interesting things to study (how likely is someone who has never been taught to believe in God to become a believer?), but I don't know how to prove it either way without such studies having been done.

I mentioned only the stats which might contribute toward unsavory "angry atheist" stereotypes: being more aggressive, impulsive etc. I have a ton of studies outside of that, if you are interested in them as a religious atheist I could PM you a lot more.[/quote]

But the studies didn't actually show that. Are you keeping studies that better support your hypothesis that people hate on atheists because we're more aggressive and impulsive a secret? Aiza, if you spent as much time looking for studies that show we are morally equal, I think you could double the size of your collection. I'm not sure what's really the case, but I know there are plenty of studies on both sides, so a citation-war isn't getting us anywhere.

If we were having this conversation on the theist board you imagined, I think it would be appropriate to mention that there are stereotypes of theists as intolerant hypocrites, not so appropriate to try to prove that those stereotypes are justified--trying to prove that people actually hold that stereotype would be a different matter. It's a topic in itself that would deserve its own thread. I'm sure another atheist would take the tack you've taken, but would you rather be like that atheist? There are plenty of theists here to take up the banner of douchedom, you strike me as a cut above them.

Probably just Anthony, I don't know too many Sisters who feminize their religious names outside of maybe adding a "Mary" on the front if they want. [quote]

Interesting. One of my step-aunts was a nun, but I wasn't exposed to Catholicism much growing up. I've always liked the name Mary, it was my mother's.

I won't be joining up for another year (I hope so anyway...), though this upcoming year is going to be super busy anyway. Who knows though, we do get 9 days off to visit family every few years (and every year after we take final vows). Maybe I'll stop by and get the token "stop wasting your life on a sky wizard!" responses. Wink[/quote]

Glad you'll be around awhile, and hope you do get a chance to drop by for a little faith-affirming criticism.

Messages In This Thread
RE: everyone (else) seems to be hating on atheists - by Mister Agenda - May 31, 2012 at 10:05 am