Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 7:22 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
everyone (else) seems to be hating on atheists
RE: everyone (else) seems to be hating on atheists
(June 1, 2012 at 4:27 pm)Aiza Wrote: Even if we did pretend that they were all atheists, the study still tells us nothing.

I never claimed they were ALL atheists.

(June 1, 2012 at 4:27 pm)Aiza Wrote: "A very small percentage of atheists make up a very small amount of prisoners". Studies which focus on religious affiliation paint a rough picture, but its a bit more accurate than that.

The part you have in quotations. What are you quoting from?

(June 1, 2012 at 4:27 pm)Aiza Wrote: They show that irreligious people are more prone to aggression etc., and I think its fair to say that that people do associate atheists with irreligion (seeing as some 86% atheists/agnostics are irreligious).

Except those studies don't focus on the irreligious as usually understood (agnostics, atheists, humanists, freethinkers). They focus on how much time people spend in church. They're studies of religious slackers PLUS the irreligious. Given that atheists are a small minority and theists are a large majority who do you think most of the people identified as 'irreligous' in those studies are? How many of the people on Jersey Shore do you think are atheists?

(June 1, 2012 at 4:27 pm)Aiza Wrote: That's fair, and I apologize. I tried to put disclaimers on the studies like "just because it says irreligious on average, doesn't make it true of everyone". But maybe it was a can of worms that shouldn't have been opened.

No worries on my end. I don't want to suppress you, but it might be a topic to explore in another thread.

(June 1, 2012 at 4:27 pm)Aiza Wrote: Really? Did she end up leaving her convent? Mary is a very common name among my mother's generation, even thought its almost unheard of now. When you go to the Motherhouse though, almost half of the Sisters have names of "Mary [other Saint]". Its a very Marian community with Consecration to Mary every single day.

I'm out of touch with my former step-mother's family, but I believe she died a nun.

(June 1, 2012 at 4:27 pm)Aiza Wrote: We have to pick out three names during our first year (postulancy), and when we take our vows, our Mother Superior calls out the name she has chosen for us as the first time we hear our new name. I am getting much too ahead of myself trying to pick out my top 3 when I haven't gotten my papers yet. Tongue

I hope you get your favorite of the three, or whichever will make you a better nun.

Messages In This Thread
RE: everyone (else) seems to be hating on atheists - by Mister Agenda - June 1, 2012 at 5:55 pm