Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 3:12 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
everyone (else) seems to be hating on atheists
RE: everyone (else) seems to be hating on atheists
(June 3, 2012 at 9:32 pm)Creed of Heresy Wrote: Also, technically the Big Bang Theory was not developed by that university but by a secular priest at that university. Keyword secular.
Why is that a keyword? Do you know what a "secular" priest even is? Most priests are secular priests.

Religious priests live as part of a religious order (like the Franciscans), serve primarily their fellow monks, brothers or friars, and make vows of poverty, chastity and obedience.
Secular (or diocesan) priests live in the world and make promises of celibacy and obedience, and serve primarily laypeople. Every single bishop or Pope who ever was a bishop is drawn from secular priests only.

So I'm not sure why you say "even if a secular one" unless you totally miss what the word "secular" means in that context. Like I said, by that standard, the Pope is secular too. Secular here comes from sæculum, meaning "of the world", as opposed to being shut up in a monastery. (Though if you do want a scientist who was shut up in a monastery, there is always Gregor Mendel Thinking).

Quote:Alas this does not exactly help your case. When a religious institution puts together a scientific project that is secular in scope, that's fine, it's working against its potential bias but when it starts working on studies that are non-secular in scope [as in they include elements of religious or non-religious groups] unfortunately this negates its credibility due to the potential for bias.
No it doesn't. This is a rather textbook ad hominem argument actually (unlike some people who treat "ad hominem" and "insult" as synonymous). Any probability of bias needs to be taken care of in the experimental design, since all people are going to have bias regardless of what university they do their research at.
Quote:Now as for psychoticism and so forth in religious individuals, I'll agree that there is potential for lower psychoticism or neuroticism, but not for the right reasons. Ignorance is bliss, as they say, and that is what the conditioning effect of religion induces. But when has ignorance ever been looked upon kindly? Even that old saying is actually spoken tongue-in-cheek. This segues into the whole "should you tell a lie to keep someone happy" debate, and that is a back-and-forth debate with no clear-cut winner due to its subjectivity.
Except religion doesn't "induce ignorance" though, contrary to popular belief of some irreligious Wink, and we aren't talking about "bliss" either. Psychoticism deals with a lack of agreeableness/empathy and also a lack of conscientiousness--conscientiousness meaning deliberation, carefulness, and self-discipline. Agreeableness and conscientiousness more prevalent in religious, and some papers have suggested its THE difference from which most other differences between religious and irreligious are born. Why, on average, religious people are healthier physically/mentally, why they are better adjusted socially, etc.

But like we've been saying, you can be an atheist and still be religious--I think 1-2% of Christians are atheist, for example. Altogether 3% of atheists/agnostics/"no religion" say they are "very religious".

Though on the subject of happiness, I always thought it was interesting how those without a religious affiliation percieve less reasons for living. I've heard some atheists say that "you need to appreciate the life you have now, religion keeps you focused on the afterlife", but religious people (or those with a religious affiliation) percieve more reasons for living and are as a result much less likely to commit suicide.
Quote:As to you becoming a sister, I hope you continue to keep posting on here when you do. Meanwhile I am going to be going to a nearby catholic church in a couple weeks to have a discussion with the bishop there; I am interested to see what he has to say regarding those passages I brought up earlier. I hope his answers will not be as unsatisfying as the ones I myself came to understand after doing a bit [twelve hours worth] of reading into the history involving those passages.

I am currently only looking at traditional communities, and in that case I would not be able to keep posting on here. I'd be able to write my family an email every two weeks. Every 2 or so years I get 9 days off (until 8 years in and final vows when I get 9 days off every year) and so maybe I'll stop by then.

There's also untraditional communities (those are the ones currently trying to be reformed by the USCCB/CDF) and they tend to give the sisters a lot more freedom, but I don't know if that fits me. I love the divine hours, the Holy Mass, Eucharistic Adoration, the rosary, etc. On the other hand I am very close to my siblings and parents so it will be bittersweet for sure at least at first.

And VERY cool you get to meet the bishop! Maybe my diocese is just busy but its very difficult to even meet with my parish priest, let alone the bishop where you are lucky just to shake his hand and get a picture taken. Let alone have a full conversation where you interview him about Bible passages! Tongue

You will probably get the same answers I gave you earlier though, assuming he has a decent catechesis (you would think any bishop would have good catechesis but one of our auxiliaries proves me wrong).

Or if you want a tidier answer you have
Calling men Father: http://www.fisheaters.com/callingmenfather.html
The "brothers" of Jesus: http://www.fisheaters.com/mary.html (halfway down the page, under "Ever Virgin")
"Vain repetitions": http://www.fisheaters.com/vainrepetitions.html

I really love this site, linked ScienceLovesGod to it before, but it helps to explain those verses and others very well in light of Church Tradition
Mary Immaculate, star of the morning
Chosen before the creation began
Chosen to bring for your bridal adorning
Woe to the serpent and rescue to man.

Sinners, we honor your sinless perfection;
Fallen and weak, for your pity we plead;
Grand us the shield of your sovereign protection,
Measure your aid by the depth of our need.

Bend from your throne at the voice of our crying,
Bend to this earth which your footsteps have trod;
Stretch out your arms to us, living and dying,
Mary Immaculate, Mother of God.

Heart

Messages In This Thread
RE: everyone (else) seems to be hating on atheists - by Aiza - June 3, 2012 at 11:04 pm