Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 7:54 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
everyone (else) seems to be hating on atheists
RE: everyone (else) seems to be hating on atheists
I think you WANT psychoses to be linked to lack of religion when the literature suggests otherwise. What you have presented is simply a pastiche of information which suggests that religion, in its brainwashing capacity, calms the masses, which goes perfectly hand in hand with the old saw of Marx:

"Religious suffering is, at one and the same time, the expression of real suffering and a protest against real suffering. Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, and the soul of soulless conditions. It is the opium of the people."

This is all you have "proven" with your choice of articles, nor have you refuted what I offered save by your own opinions. The materials you continue to lay out (when indeed you lay out more than a snapshot of an abstract) show only that religion soothes the fear of the ignorant-not that it elevates the consciousness, so your-yes, smarmy-quip about religion generating greater levels of "self-control, carefulness, thoughtfulness" is, again, utter trash.

This blog by a well known psychologist gets at some of what I have contended, which is that religion is not a sign of higher consciousness, but a symptom of the self's inability to deal with reality and therefore a coping mechanism. Your contention puts the cart before the horse.

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-...ust-downer
Trying to update my sig ...

Messages In This Thread
RE: everyone (else) seems to be hating on atheists - by Epimethean - June 4, 2012 at 6:09 am