Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 2:42 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
everyone (else) seems to be hating on atheists
RE: everyone (else) seems to be hating on atheists
(June 4, 2012 at 6:09 am)Epimethean Wrote: I think you WANT psychoses to be linked to lack of religion when the literature suggests otherwise. What you have presented is simply a pastiche of information which suggests that religion, in its brainwashing capacity, calms the masses, which goes perfectly hand in hand with the old saw of Marx:
No I don't "want" and um, the only one who has been posting much in the way of literature is me You've posted a few pop psychology articles and a single thing noting that delusional people who have religious delusions are often much healthier than those without.

Also if you don't have access to an article I post, try googling it because usually an article is posted on multiple websites.
Quote:This is all you have "proven" with your choice of articles, nor have you refuted what I offered save by your own opinions. The materials you continue to lay out (when indeed you lay out more than a snapshot of an abstract) show only that religion soothes the fear of the ignorant-not that it elevates the consciousness, so your-yes, smarmy-quip about religion generating greater levels of "self-control, carefulness, thoughtfulness" is, again, utter trash.
Wait, what? No it doesn't, this post is so full of lies its painful. Nothing I posted refers to anything about "fear" (in fact your own pop psych article noted that the more devout religious in Italy had more 'worries'), and that last article specifically centers around the role religion plays in encouraging self-control. And again, if you don't have access try googling for another version that you do have access to instead of ignoring all evidence and clinging to unsourced blog posts.

http://epsy.tamu.edu/uploads/files/Ellio...lletin.pdf

Should work as a direct link to the pdf file.
Quote:This blog by a well known psychologist gets at some of what I have contended, which is that religion is not a sign of higher consciousness, but a symptom of the self's inability to deal with reality and therefore a coping mechanism. Your contention puts the cart before the horse.
Your "blog" post basically argues from no data at all. He doesn't even have any sources, and his whole argument hinges on the idea that poorer nations are more devout, therefore religion must help them cope with stress (not "reality" mind you, even he isn't as ridiculous to go that far). You linked me to an opinion piece from an evo psych blogger who seems to dislike religion in general, after I liked you to actual peer-reviewed scientific journal articles (and you tried to say they were "too biased" because one came from a Catholic university! Hahaha Tongue Would you let me get away with an unsourced dataless pop science opinion piece from an anti-atheist writer? Come on now)

While we are talking about WANTS, I think you are the one who WANTS religion to be an inferior state, even when all research shows otherwise. Thats why you are resorting to blog posts, trite quotes from other atheists, and pop science articles. There's nothing to "refute" because there's nothing that you offer in the face of real data, let alone anything which refutes or even challenges any of the articles I've posted.
Mary Immaculate, star of the morning
Chosen before the creation began
Chosen to bring for your bridal adorning
Woe to the serpent and rescue to man.

Sinners, we honor your sinless perfection;
Fallen and weak, for your pity we plead;
Grand us the shield of your sovereign protection,
Measure your aid by the depth of our need.

Bend from your throne at the voice of our crying,
Bend to this earth which your footsteps have trod;
Stretch out your arms to us, living and dying,
Mary Immaculate, Mother of God.

Heart

Messages In This Thread
RE: everyone (else) seems to be hating on atheists - by Aiza - June 4, 2012 at 3:23 pm