Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 10:48 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
everyone (else) seems to be hating on atheists
RE: everyone (else) seems to be hating on atheists
(June 11, 2012 at 12:37 am)Shell B Wrote: Well, sweetheart, you can take the maybe out of that equation. Let's not pretend you were talking about the same fella, either, or you would have mentioned that in your most recent post. Wink

No I was talking about the same guy--the fact that he denied being an atheist is where the "maybe" comes from. I'd say someone who was killed for murder was killed for murder; but if the evidence was debatable I wouldn't say he was a murderer killed for murder. There have been other people accused of being "atheists" and killed for it, including many early Christians.

I didn't mention that in my most recent post because I don't remember all the posts I made in this large semi-dead thread

Quote:Of course, there have been fewer atheists in history, but we'll keep this simple for the sake of clarity.
Thats not how statistics work.

Also living memory are the events which most directly impact our current situations+attitudes. Of course there should be a focus on those first and foremost.

I am not even sure what the point of this edit is. I was talking about mass persecutions of atheists, on par with what Christians have suffered--who were killed for being practicing Christians by a regime which hated them for being Christian. You seem to just be pulling up a bunch of historical killings without regard to actual motivations or victims, which is nice and all, but not really relevant. Undecided

If I must nitpick though, North Korea explicitly has state atheism, they do not consider their leader "a god". (Japanese emperors are sometimes considered to be gods though I don't think that is any longer a common belief).
(June 11, 2012 at 12:35 am)Annik Wrote: What about Larry Hooper or Jose Ramirez?

Yep, Larry Hooper is the only for sure hate crime homicide I know of, Jose Ramirez is the "maaaybe 2", since I remembered the whole "hate crime" thing was speculation on his sister's behalf, though going back to the case \it seems her theory was corroborated by an anonymous tipster fwiw. The killer didn't straight up admit to it as he did in the Larry Hooper case though.
Mary Immaculate, star of the morning
Chosen before the creation began
Chosen to bring for your bridal adorning
Woe to the serpent and rescue to man.

Sinners, we honor your sinless perfection;
Fallen and weak, for your pity we plead;
Grand us the shield of your sovereign protection,
Measure your aid by the depth of our need.

Bend from your throne at the voice of our crying,
Bend to this earth which your footsteps have trod;
Stretch out your arms to us, living and dying,
Mary Immaculate, Mother of God.

Heart

Messages In This Thread
RE: everyone (else) seems to be hating on atheists - by Aiza - June 11, 2012 at 1:15 am