Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 29, 2024, 4:01 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do mimsy atheists gyre and gimble in the wabe?
RE: Do mimsy atheists gyre and gimble in the wabe?
(July 11, 2009 at 9:32 pm)Pippy Wrote: What did you think about the 'Methinks it is like a weasel," thing? That struck me right away. He was trying to show the ability of evolution to appear to have a designed result (If I remember correctly). I thought it was laughable that he could write a computer program that chose the best 'mutation' and started over with it... And then go on about the lack of design. In that experiment he is God, the computer is complex reality, and the outcome is fixed. I don't think anyone here thinks that the world has an end result we are working towards, so why couldn't Dawkins write the program to not pick the every best 'mutation', and also not delete all the others and start over 'clean-slate' with the best. That is also a very poor representation of evolution. I just always thought that little experiment he did was absurd.
Why don't you actually read up on things before you post rubbish about them? It's a good tip, because if you actually do know what you are talking about, you don't come across like an idiot.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weasel_program

Messages In This Thread
RE: Do mimsy atheists gyre and gimble in the wabe? - by Tiberius - July 12, 2009 at 5:00 am