Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 19, 2024, 10:14 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Congo & M23
RE: The Congo & M23
I feel I have to correct myself due the festive correcting me.
As far as I know. After the Rewandan genocide of 1998 the Hutu militias fled into Kongo.
At the outbreak of the second Kongolese war, Uganda and Rewanda joined in, to hunt down the remaining Hutu militias within Kongo.
The second Kongolese war was a conflict between various ideologies and ethnical groups fighting for power in Kingshasa.

My point do is.

There is no, absolutly not a single "imperialist" mindset or objective behind the war in the Kongo.

Kongo when it was a Belgium colony under King Leopold, was abused and exploited like hardly any other African nation during the colonial struggle in Africa in the 19th century. As everyone who read "The Heart of Darkness" will know.

But that era of imperialism is over. It ended officialy when in 1999 Portugal handed over the port city of Macau to the Peoples Republic of China.

There is not a single sovereign nation on this planet today which keeps a colony - suppresses the peoples will to self determination within that colony - exploits that colony - and sees itself on a civilisting nation - as is the defintition of imperialism.
The effects of the colonial era of empires still resonates in todays world. But there is no such thing as empires and certainly no such thing as imerialism anymore.

Whenever someone writes a political essey one can clearly identify it being a dishonest and biased piece of rethoric when the word "imperialism" is used to discribe todays circumstances within a capitalist sociaty.

And as far as I know, the only western company (!not country!) which has been clearly pointed out to use civil war coltan from the Kongo is finish based Nokia.

If you want a article on the subject of coltan production which results in fueling civil war, which is not a biased naiv left wing extremist rant, read this:

http://www.spiegel.de/international/worl...91097.html

or watch this film:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQhlLuBwOtE

Messages In This Thread
The Congo & M23 - by cratehorus - December 1, 2012 at 12:16 am
RE: The Congo & M23 - by Something completely different - December 1, 2012 at 9:02 am
RE: The Congo & M23 - by festive1 - December 1, 2012 at 9:32 am
RE: The Congo & M23 - by Dee Dee Ramone - December 1, 2012 at 10:07 am
RE: The Congo & M23 - by festive1 - December 1, 2012 at 10:35 am
RE: The Congo & M23 - by Something completely different - December 1, 2012 at 12:11 pm
RE: The Congo & M23 - by festive1 - December 1, 2012 at 1:04 pm
RE: The Congo & M23 - by Minimalist - December 1, 2012 at 2:04 pm
RE: The Congo & M23 - by Angrboda - December 1, 2012 at 6:20 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Young as 6 raped by troops in Congo who fled M23 cratehorus 94 33870 June 13, 2013 at 10:27 pm
Last Post: cratehorus