Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 6:14 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Interfaith Relationships
RE: Interfaith Relationships
My wife's family is strongly Catholic(in beliefs more than practice). She considers herself a Catholic, but she does not practice nor does she feel any need to defend her beliefs. Both of her grandmothers, however, are hardcore churchgoers. In order to please them, she wanted to get married in a Catholic church, but when she looked into it(I hadn't agreed to it, but she looked into anyway), the church said I would have to convert to Catholicism. She knew there was no way in hell that was happening, so we made the "compromise" to get married in the church was raised in, which is a very liberal United Methodist church. Honestly, it didn't bother me, because the details of the ceremony weren't important to me. They were extremely important to her, though. When they got to the god stuff, I just had a good chuckle inside my head.

When my son was born, my wife wanted to baptize him, and I was more opposed to that. Ultimately, I gave in, because it's just a silly ceremony where they splash magic water on the kid. I bitched and moaned to my wife the whole time, so that made me feel a little better. I figure I'll save my energy for when my son starts hearing that a man built a giant boat and put two of each animal on it to ride out a storm for forty days.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell

Messages In This Thread
Interfaith Relationships - by Gnosis - May 13, 2013 at 8:46 pm
RE: Interfaith Relationships - by The Grand Nudger - May 13, 2013 at 9:22 pm
RE: Interfaith Relationships - by Minimalist - May 13, 2013 at 9:34 pm
RE: Interfaith Relationships - by cneron - May 13, 2013 at 9:46 pm
RE: Interfaith Relationships - by Faith No More - May 13, 2013 at 10:20 pm
RE: Interfaith Relationships - by Gnosis - May 14, 2013 at 5:57 am
RE: Interfaith Relationships - by The Grand Nudger - May 13, 2013 at 10:36 pm
RE: Interfaith Relationships - by Violet - May 13, 2013 at 10:54 pm
RE: Interfaith Relationships - by The Grand Nudger - May 13, 2013 at 11:01 pm
RE: Interfaith Relationships - by Violet - May 14, 2013 at 3:37 am
RE: Interfaith Relationships - by Aractus - May 14, 2013 at 5:42 am