Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 3:44 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ontology of God--Theological Noncognitivist View
RE: Ontology of God--Theological Noncognitivist View
fr0d0 Wrote:So if I were to define you as not vegetable or mineral but animal would that not help define you?
You are defining me in two ways here which makes your analogy a fallacy. You first define me as not vegetable or mineral. That is extremely vague...I could be almost anything! I think you realized that, which is why you added on "but animal." You have now switched to positively defining me. How did you do that? How did you know that since I'm not a vegetable or a mineral, I MUST be an animal? Why couldn't I be a rock, a piece of chocolate, a gaseous planet, an inanimate object, a magical talking box with fingers to type, or something else? You have made observations of me without even having met or seen me.

Quote:Apply that successively to what I can know doesn't apply to you, and you can see that I can come up with a pretty good idea of what you are.

No, you can't. Even when you somehow concluded that I was an animal, there are millions of different species on Earth...

Quote:This is how God is defined and it clearly is effective in formulating an idea of what God is.

It clearly is not.

Quote:You are not God - we can clearly know that... so that shows already there are some things we know are not God which is what I'm saying. Do that a lot more and you can arrive at what God is.

God is in everything but each individual component alone does not equal God. It's quite simple.

You already assume you know what God is. How do you know God is in everything? I don't see him. Is he in my sperm? Damn, I never knew that warm feeling that comes over me was a religious experience!

Alright, now I'm just messing with your ambiguity. Since I'm sure you probably wouldn't get the point of including the above, I'll make it clear now: What exactly does that mean, "God is in everything." I assume you mean God is omnipresent. Again, how do you know? Have you measured him? I think you are hinting at another attribute you have given God ("Creator"), but I won't knock that connection down unless you actually say it.
Live and love life

[Image: KnightBanner.png]
Liberty and justice for all

Messages In This Thread
Ontology of God--Theological Noncognitivist View - by Knight - January 15, 2010 at 6:23 pm
RE: Ontology of God--Theological Noncognitivist View - by Knight - January 16, 2010 at 9:33 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A contradiction in the liberal view of gender shadow 64 12278 September 18, 2017 at 3:40 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Devil's advocate for why ontology is meaningless and vacuous. Edwardo Piet 76 6856 September 12, 2016 at 3:48 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  Cynical view of happiness. paulpablo 77 7827 July 10, 2016 at 9:55 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  My View on Belief vs. Knowledge GrandizerII 29 7325 March 4, 2015 at 7:12 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
Question One thing that makes you doubt your own world view? Tea Earl Grey Hot 9 2746 July 14, 2013 at 4:06 pm
Last Post: Something completely different