Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 6:47 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ontology of God--Theological Noncognitivist View
RE: Ontology of God--Theological Noncognitivist View
Quote:OK you're throwing in the towel Knight. It does seem you have no argument, and you admit to saying the same thing over and over.

I most certainly am not throwing in the towel, but nice try! I only have to repeat myself because YOU repeat yourself.

Quote:Nothing exists that isn't observable? Are you gnostic about this? You are categorically saying that God cannot exist?

That's not what I said Frodo, nor is it anywhere close to what I meant. You cannot say if it does or does not exist if you cannot observe it! It is equivalent to the unicorn example I provided. Sure, it is possible that the unicorn exists, but the way I currently have it defined, it would be futile to discuss whether it exists or not. Same with your God. It is futile to give it any attributes without observing it.

Quote: See the vast majority of us here don't agree with that. We all think you can't know. And if you can't know either, how can you be so bold as to make this claim? I would suggest that logically, you cannot. Your position is untenable.

You are a slimy theist, aren't you? Throwing in straw mans seems to be second nature to you. Thankfully I said nothing of the sort. I've been saying all along you cannot know. You're the one who believes because you claim to know something about God. You have claimed several times:

Quote:This is how God is defined and it clearly is effective in formulating an idea of what God is.

Referring to telling us what God is not. For not being able to know, you sure make a lot of claims that suggest you know.

Quote:The "observable" here doesn't include the physically observable but intellectual observance of logical thought. You require God to be a physical entity when God isn't a physical entity. Yes you're going to fail with that.

Quote:phys⋅i⋅cal
  /ˈfɪzɪkəl/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [fiz-i-kuhl] Show IPA
–adjective
1. of or pertaining to the body: physical exercise.
2. of or pertaining to that which is material: the physical universe; the physical sciences.
3. noting or pertaining to the properties of matter and energy other than those peculiar to living matter.
4. pertaining to the physical sciences, esp. physics.

Just making sure we are clear with what physical means.

You have now finally declared that God is not physical. It took you long enough. Now you're at least moving in some direction!

Tell me, how does a nonphysical being interact with the universe? Then, how do you know? How do you know there is such a nonphysical being to begin with? You are just guessing, but you refuse to admit it.
Live and love life

[Image: KnightBanner.png]
Liberty and justice for all

Messages In This Thread
Ontology of God--Theological Noncognitivist View - by Knight - January 15, 2010 at 6:23 pm
RE: Ontology of God--Theological Noncognitivist View - by Knight - January 17, 2010 at 9:12 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A contradiction in the liberal view of gender shadow 64 12285 September 18, 2017 at 3:40 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Devil's advocate for why ontology is meaningless and vacuous. Edwardo Piet 76 6857 September 12, 2016 at 3:48 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  Cynical view of happiness. paulpablo 77 7827 July 10, 2016 at 9:55 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  My View on Belief vs. Knowledge GrandizerII 29 7325 March 4, 2015 at 7:12 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
Question One thing that makes you doubt your own world view? Tea Earl Grey Hot 9 2746 July 14, 2013 at 4:06 pm
Last Post: Something completely different