Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 7:01 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ontology of God--Theological Noncognitivist View
RE: Ontology of God--Theological Noncognitivist View
(January 17, 2010 at 4:46 pm)fr0d0 Wrote: You crazy diamond Evie Smile

Pardon?

Quote:And what's with the new "evinice" word?? Big Grin

Is it a new word?

Quote:Say you had a sand pit with an impression in it, and the object that made the impression was missing. In this instance, couldn't you know or have a good idea of what made the impression without it actually being there?

Of what being there? 'it'. Well there would be an indication of the shape (and perhaps things like weight, etc) of whatever 'it' is. But we still don't know what 'it' is...

Quote: We're not talking about 'evidencing' something anyway. We're talking about working out 'something' of the entity in question.
Is talking about spotting indication of something through its effects (as you are with the sandpit example) not talking about evincing?

Isn't valid indication of something, evincing (giving evidence of) it?

Now, important: It seems to me that you are not talking about finding out anything what X (God in this case) is, but rather you are talking about traces or effects.

Because as in the sandpit example, whatever 'it' is there are presumably many many things that 'it' is not - not just the sandpit that left the trace. So it is not itself the act of 'finding out what it isn't' that is helpful. I mean, finding a squashed grapefruit on a supermarket floor and seeing that that also 'is not' whatever was in the sandpit isn't exactly of any extra help at all, even if it is, indeed, part of the category of what whatever was in the sandpit 'is not'.

So, what you are talking about is traces and effects it seems to me. Whatever was in the sandpit left traces, or effects. That is the indication, that is the evidence, that evinces, that is valid. Just about anything at all that isn't what was left in the sandpit is of no help, right?

Quote:Do you think there are things we can call "not God" Evie? Do you agree this is possible?

I see this as possible. But I am yet to see you give on example of how this in itself helps lead us to 'what God is', it seems to me we have to define what God is first. And traces and effects of him being indications, evincing (giving evidence) is not the same thing as labelling anything he isn't.

EvF

Messages In This Thread
Ontology of God--Theological Noncognitivist View - by Knight - January 15, 2010 at 6:23 pm
RE: Ontology of God--Theological Noncognitivist View - by Edwardo Piet - January 18, 2010 at 8:59 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A contradiction in the liberal view of gender shadow 64 12285 September 18, 2017 at 3:40 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Devil's advocate for why ontology is meaningless and vacuous. Edwardo Piet 76 6857 September 12, 2016 at 3:48 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  Cynical view of happiness. paulpablo 77 7827 July 10, 2016 at 9:55 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  My View on Belief vs. Knowledge GrandizerII 29 7325 March 4, 2015 at 7:12 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
Question One thing that makes you doubt your own world view? Tea Earl Grey Hot 9 2746 July 14, 2013 at 4:06 pm
Last Post: Something completely different