Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 4:43 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dodging theodicy: 'On Faith' panel stumbles over Haiti and God
RE: Dodging theodicy: 'On Faith' panel stumbles over Haiti and God
Okay I have actually gone through this whole thread and have now decided to put in my two cents. fr0d0, you stated in a nutshell that god is the creator of the universe and this includes everything in it including what we interpret as nature and everything that that word entails. So, that being the case it would be wrong to blame god for natural disasters because the system (nature) is basically on auto-pilot doing what it normally does. But at the same time if you read your bible more carefully you will see that despite what you stated god has intervened many times in the affairs of mankind and not always in the most beneficial way. Here are some examples of your "good god" being bad.

Isaiah 45:7:
7.I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.

Deuteronomy 32:39
See now that I, even I, am he, and there is no god with me: I kill, and I make alive; I wound, and I heal: neither is there any that can deliver out of my hand.

There you have it! Straight from the horses mouth himself.

Keeping that in mind lets see what happened during the "great flood".
Genesis 6:17
And, behold, I, even I, do bring a flood of waters upon the earth, to destroy all flesh, wherein is the breath of life, from under heaven; and every thing that is in the earth shall die.
Genesis 7:23
And every living substance was destroyed which was upon the face of the ground, both man, and cattle, and the creeping things, and the fowl of the heaven; and they were destroyed from the earth: and Noah only remained alive, and they that were with him in the ark.

There was nothing natural about this so called event, this was god having a shit fit and personally claiming responsibility for destroying mankind. This is not the first time that your god has intervened in human affairs to the detriment of mankind. It is also a blatant contradiction to what you have been saying in this thread.
There is nothing people will not maintain when they are slaves to superstition

http://chatpilot-godisamyth.blogspot.com/

Messages In This Thread
RE: Dodging theodicy: 'On Faith' panel stumbles over Haiti and God - by chatpilot - February 3, 2010 at 12:19 pm