Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 7:57 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dodging theodicy: 'On Faith' panel stumbles over Haiti and God
RE: Dodging theodicy: 'On Faith' panel stumbles over Haiti and God
That's correct they didn't understand God, and we still don't today.

(February 3, 2010 at 12:19 pm)chatpilot Wrote:

This is what the Lord says to Cyrus. Cyrus then passed that to people who wrote it down, eventually. I won't mention Cyrus saying that " treasures of darkness, riches stored in secret places" will be his, because I'm sure the Lord cares about Earthly treasure. If you continue to read you'll easily see that the idea the Lord is conveying is that he is the maker and creater of all things and theese are just some examples of the results of his creation. Drawn through the conscious mind of Cyrus this is what he understood the Lord to mean, using awe inspiring examples seems self-serving and humanistic on a line by line basis. Take it a chapter at a time not a line at a time.

Quote:

There sure are a lot of extra I's in there. I'll be the first to admit The song of Moses which you've taken excepts from sounds like a Pat Robinson speech. I won't mention God kicked Moses out of the club immediately after this tyraid. I'll just read what you've quoted and it sounds like he's calling himself the Lord.
" I sharpen My flashing sword, And My hand takes hold on justice, (CG)I will render vengeance on My adversaries, And I will repay those who hate Me. 42'(CH)I will make My arrows drunk with blood, (CI)And My sword will devour flesh, With the blood of the slain and the captives, From the long-haired leaders of the enemy." Which I was that Moses of God? Sonds like something my diety does regularly ROFLOL

Quote:Keeping that in mind lets see what happened during the "great flood".
Genesis 6:17
And, behold, I, even I, do bring a flood of waters upon the earth, to destroy all flesh, wherein is the breath of life, from under heaven; and every thing that is in the earth shall die.
Genesis 7:23
And every living substance was destroyed which was upon the face of the ground, both man, and cattle, and the creeping things, and the fowl of the heaven; and they were destroyed from the earth: and Noah only remained alive, and they that were with him in the ark.

There was nothing natural about this so called event, this was god having a shit fit and personally claiming responsibility for destroying mankind. This is not the first time that your god has intervened in human affairs to the detriment of mankind. It is also a blatant contradiction to what you have been saying in this thread.

the actual hebrew translation is kol and erets meaning all land ,earth, country or ground. It's a common term and is common usage also reffering to rivers and cities, basically on a local scale. I ascribe to no global flood in the verses quoted. All that's beside the point though. Noah believed the Lord told him a flood was coming and to prepare. Faced with losing everything and everyone save his family couldn't bias him at all to those humanistic characteristics and connotations of death and destruction. Perhaps it was time for one of the many local floods that have happened over the course of the planet, the Lord favored him and warned him, and he was all "woe is me the Lord destroys everything I know!, but he's saving me" Maybe he though it'd be a great spin on a story about a premonition from God about a natural event?

Perhaps I'm just tired, but if you need deprogramming from any more of your fundamentalist stoic views I'd be happy to help.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Dodging theodicy: 'On Faith' panel stumbles over Haiti and God - by tackattack - February 4, 2010 at 3:09 am