Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 2:15 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dodging theodicy: 'On Faith' panel stumbles over Haiti and God
RE: Dodging theodicy: 'On Faith' panel stumbles over Haiti and God
(February 4, 2010 at 8:02 am)tackattack Wrote: What about infants? Ok fair question. Infants are not capable of rational thought, and when they are they have the propensity to choose evil more than good without guidance, that is sin.

Infants have the propensity to chose evil? Name me one think an infant does that could be considered evil by anyone who isn't insane.

Quote:It is a true tragedy that such things have happened in Haiti, however where you're so quick to blame something you don't even believe exists, I take a different approach.

Dude, it's called a hypothetical for a reason.

Me, if I was an Omnipotent, Omnipresent being, I would make sure that nobody who didn't deserve to die was killed by something I created. Oh, and children wouldn't be born into impoverished deserts only to spend their lives scurrying for whatever food they could find.

Yeah, i would make a far better God than Yhwh.

Quote:Do I believe in a God that intervenes in human affair? Another fair question. Yes I do. Where does he intervene? He intervenes where his will sees fit, where he will be most glorified, through revelations to us.

So he's only interested in his own glory? What an ass.

And how does that even make sense if that is the case? You think he would be more glorified telling a few people certain things in their heads or actually performing miracles and saving millions?

Quote:As to the last, because it is in his design. Without hardships and despair we would have no growth.

Yet he originally intended for that to be just the case, no hardships or despair, just life in a cosy little garden. So what was this whole 'you fucked up so every single ancestor of yours is going to pay for it' thing? Just an oversight?

Let me ask you this, if someone wrongs you would you consider it moral to punish their children and grandchildren and great grandchildren etc for their action? I would hope your answer is no, in which case why would you consider it moral when God does it? I consider the idea Tyranny.

Quote: He set for us an easy road to get to him. We refused it and went on our own rocky road.

We refused? No, according to the Bible only two people got to make the decision for every single life that would ever live. You and I are held responsible for the decisions other people made in this model. Should I be presented with the choice I would have chosen differently to Adam and Eve, yet I'm not allowed to make my decision because it was made for me thousands of years before i was born, not only that. but God also saw the need to sacrifice his son for the sins I inherited, and the decision to give my sins to his son wasn't my decision either, i would never give my sins to anyone else, especially if it meant their death, but this decision too was made before i was born, yet now i am responsible for both and if I don't accept the sacrifice on faith alone I will be sent to hell for all eternity.

Quote: Morality and justice are human constructs that I don't attribute to my idea of God.

So if God has no morals there are no moral absolutes? Then how disobeying God be wrong and why does he force eternal suffering on those who do not believe? How can he give commandments about what is right and wrong? How can there be sin at all if there is no morality from God?

Messages In This Thread
RE: Dodging theodicy: 'On Faith' panel stumbles over Haiti and God - by theVOID - February 4, 2010 at 9:36 am