Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 14, 2024, 4:16 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roof, religion is the cause of racism. OP/ED
RE: Roof, religion is the cause of racism. OP/ED
Quote:Um no, does not matter how it started

My apologies, I thought that was the point you were making.

Quote:that is like saying Hitler was an atheist, it still would not change that he invoked god to convince Germans they were God's chosen people. The KKK is full of deeply religious people, regardless of how you claim it started. 

I think you've got this back-to-front.  I don't deny that there are deeply religious people in the KKK, but what of it?  You made the claim that religion is the cause of racism.  The inescapable consequence would be that no non-religious people are racist, which is farcical.  By the by, I'm not making any sort of a 'claim' at all.  Feel free to look it up - the Klan was originally a political organization, religion was a secondary (and very minor) factor.

Quote:When you understand evolution, you see grouping not only in humans, but in other primates as well. You will NOT get rid of our evolution, humans will always group.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you.  You said earlier that religion is THE cause of racism in part because it creates groups/tribalism.  Now, you're making the point that non-human primates group as well.  I've only met one orangutan, and no chimpanzees, gorillas or bonobos, but I think it's a fair bet than no non-human primates are religious.  Since chimps (at least) have been observed to behave very badly towards out-groups of other chimps, and do so without 'benefit' of religion, aren't you crossing yourself up, here?

Quote:The point isn't to outlaw any religion, as I may have said before, but by understanding the real reasons humans do what they do, you can manage differences to a much more civil degree.

But, based on your original premise ['Religion is the cause of racism.'], I fail to see how you can 'manage differences' without eliminating religion.

Quote:Anything can be turned into a religion, so it isn't just what we commonly call religion. Our species evolved to seek patterns, and when we think it works, regardless of any harm it may do, we seek to replicate that pattern. Economics  and politics also get treated as a religion for far too many. I even warn atheists not to assume by proxy of label that constitutes morality. "Atheist" merely means "off" or "empty" on god claims. Outside that we are diverse as well in politics and economic views. Ultimately neither labels or books are indicators of human morality. Our species ability to be cruel or compassionate is in our evolution.

I decline to respond to this bit, as it seems really, REALLY far off-point.

Quote:Religion causes racism regardless of pointing out those in religion who are not racists. It is a concept that sets up in group vs out group.
That's a self-defeating statement.  If religion causes racism - as you claim - then every single religious person has to be a racist.  And if religion is the cause of racism, then every non-religious person has to be non-racist.  Since neither of these is the case, your premise fails.

If I've misunderstood or misrepresented what you've said, I'll be happy to have another go.  But, as it stands, I don't think your argument holds much water.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson

Messages In This Thread
Roof, religion is the cause of racism. OP/ED - by Brian37 - June 21, 2015 at 11:39 am
RE: Roof, religion is the cause of racism. OP/ED - by BrianSoddingBoru4 - June 22, 2015 at 3:01 pm