Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 15, 2024, 3:28 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Ultimate Value and the signs of it in ourselves.
The Ultimate Value and the signs of it in ourselves.
(January 16, 2016 at 6:19 am)robvalue Wrote: As in the other thread, I noted that you can have objective value after value has been subjectively defined. For example, the "value" of a human being is 1, and the "value" of anything not a human being is 0. There, done. It's now an objective "value". The problem is, that it doesn't mean anything. To just say that because "value" also has another meaning apart from this defined one and to try and slip that one in is an equivocation fallacy. You can't use the same term for two different things at once.

I can equally well say the "value" of a human is whatever I think of that human, ranging from 0 to 1. It's now entirely subjective.

Things like mass have been subjectively defined, and can then be objectively measured. But the results have real, practical applications. Whereas just defining people to have objective "value" is of no use whatsoever to anything.

This is a perfect explanation Rob! (As always). The problem is, it's not the answer that Mystic wants, so he will probably ignore it. Since his entire "logical" argument for god's existence rests on the premise that morality is some sort of objective thing that cannot be created by God or humans, he has already decided what he "knows" to be the answer of the question he, himself has asked. He has done nothing but dismiss or ignore alternative answers given to him, which leads me to believe he is not here for a true discussion, but to see if there is anyone out there he can...convert. Dishonest to the bone IMO...
Nay_Sayer: “Nothing is impossible if you dream big enough, or in this case, nothing is impossible if you use a barrel of KY Jelly and a miniature horse.”

Wiser words were never spoken. 

Messages In This Thread
The Ultimate Value and the signs of it in ourselves. - by LadyForCamus - January 16, 2016 at 9:23 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do humans have inherent value? Macoleco 39 2306 June 14, 2021 at 1:58 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  So how much should we concern ourselves with morality? How much is enough? Whateverist 9 1468 July 16, 2017 at 10:48 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  When are we not ourselves? KUSA 74 7366 June 17, 2016 at 6:03 pm
Last Post: KUSA
  What is 'objective' value? henryp 159 22184 January 24, 2016 at 4:57 pm
Last Post: Mudhammam
  Truth in context vs ultimate truth bennyboy 20 4597 March 15, 2015 at 6:07 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  The essence of value Mystic 11 2904 March 6, 2014 at 1:14 am
Last Post: *Deidre*
  The value of a human life (and why abortion, economics, pulling the plug and triage) Autumnlicious 24 13429 June 26, 2010 at 5:54 am
Last Post: Violet