Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 6:02 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GMOs in Germany
RE: GMOs in Germany
(February 4, 2017 at 12:13 pm)Alex K Wrote:
(January 8, 2017 at 8:17 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: The only organic stuff I buy is meats/animal products bc I feel like the animals are treated more humanely that way. I generally never really cared about anything else being organic and never minded gmo's and such.

But recently (bc of what happened to my kid) I've been a bit paranoid about anything that could potentially cause some sort of spontaneous genetic mutation in the next baby. I haven't made the leap to going "all natural", but I've been more mindful about that type of thing recently.

There are just so many things we still don't know. For example I'm sure when smoking first became popular, they had no idea it was harmful to the smoker, much less harmful to an unborn baby.

That's precisely our attitude as well, we buy organic whenever we feel that the animals involved in the production likely have better living conditions.

As far as genetic mutations is concerned, is there any evidence at all that non-organic or GMO food is more likely to cause them? I could even imagine that it is the other qay around.

Yeah, its a good thing to do I think.

I mean, I've seen some stuff out there claiming that GMO's and preservatives and insecticides may cause birth defects. Just random stuff on google. I don't think it's anything that has been solidly proven though, just speculation and some testing I think. But as I said, just because we haven't yet discovered that these things are really harmful, doesn't mean they aren't. Normally I wouldn't give it a second thought, but I'm just in a bit of a paranoid/better-safe-than-sorry stage right now.

(February 3, 2017 at 11:25 pm)Tiberius Wrote:
(January 8, 2017 at 9:11 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: But it's a safer bet that most foods found in nature (and that we have been eating for hundreads or thousands of years) are probably fine. Especially those that have already been established to be healthy. I can understand someone wanting to stay away from artificial foods to be on the safe side, just in case.

This can go both ways though. Using a non-food related example, for an estimated 2,000 years we thought that "bleeding" a person could remove disease.

The problem with the whole "natural foods" culture is it can often lead to dangers precisely because the artificial methods we use to treat food have made them safe to eat when they would otherwise not be. For example, pasteurization of cow milk effectively kills deadly bacteria (and it's literally just heating milk to high temperatures and rapidly cooling it again) and makes it safe for human consumption, but there are still people who drink raw milk because for some reason they think the fact that it hasn't been treated makes it "better" for you in some way.

Well, the whole thing with being scared of milk just because it's been heated and then cooled is a bit extreme. I don't see how that's different from cooking meats and vegetables.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh

Messages In This Thread
GMOs in Germany - by RozKek - January 8, 2017 at 4:26 pm
RE: GMOs in Germany - by Alex K - January 8, 2017 at 7:12 pm
RE: GMOs in Germany - by Catholic_Lady - January 8, 2017 at 7:13 pm
RE: GMOs in Germany - by Alex K - January 8, 2017 at 7:21 pm
RE: GMOs in Germany - by Catholic_Lady - January 8, 2017 at 8:17 pm
RE: GMOs in Germany - by Alex K - February 4, 2017 at 12:13 pm
RE: GMOs in Germany - by Catholic_Lady - February 4, 2017 at 12:27 pm
RE: GMOs in Germany - by vorlon13 - January 8, 2017 at 7:30 pm
RE: GMOs in Germany - by SteelCurtain - January 8, 2017 at 8:27 pm
RE: GMOs in Germany - by Catholic_Lady - January 8, 2017 at 8:31 pm