Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 14, 2024, 3:15 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Religious Background
RE: Religious Background
(July 6, 2017 at 4:54 pm)SteveII Wrote:
(July 6, 2017 at 3:41 pm)JackRussell Wrote: The growth of any belief is not evidence for the veracity of that belief. [1] If Christianity is on the rise in China, and I am quite happy to accept that this is true, it does nothing to tell you about the reasons why more Chinese people have converted and wether their reasons are good or bad. China is a relatively isolated culture compared to the West: do they have access to the atheist position available to us and what does Chinese culture and history have to say about this phenomenon? [2]

I can add another thing to my my list of reasons for the preferment of secular molarity: wellbeing, personal responsibility and culture. [3]

One can adduce conclusions from either perspective, but the conclusion should be evidence based and I don't think we have that. And it is a truism, but rather evident, that the amount of people that support a claim has no bearing on it's truth. Boring, but probably true, most people used to think the Earth was flat and the Earth was the centre of the universe. The Christians here think that their evidence is more compelling than that of any other religion, or that of the atheistic position. I still ask, why your God couldn't easily demonstrate that all non Christian theist and atheists are wrong? [4]

Please don't just say that I don't want to know, because, if you are right, I would absolutely want to know that. [5]

1. I agree. However, that does not mean the fact is meaningless. It would at least indicate that the belief is compelling to those that have changed their mind. 
2. China has been ruled by atheistic communist since 1949. That's two generations that have been told there is no God. It is still not the easiest path to declare oneself a Christian. Yet, we find the growth there unprecedented.
3. First, if your meaning is that religious people are somehow lacking in those things, that's condescending and unwarranted. Secondly, secular morality does not in any way guarantee well-being, personal responsibility, or culture. Exhibit A: Joseph Stalin. 
4. What more demonstration can there be that coming to earth, teaching for 3 years, and then dying on a cross to the redemption of mankind? On top of that, talk to some real Christian's whose live have been changed and have witness God working in their lives and of those around them. Why don't you sincerely ask God to show you if he is real? 
5. Wouldn't think of saying you don't want to know. My advice is not to drink the atheist coolaid uncritically. Keep an open mind and seek out the best of the best on both sides. New Atheists are not the best atheist thinkers by a long shot. Unfortunately that's the low-brow arguments you most often hear on this site (knowledge a mile wide and an inch deep).

Well, it seems again I am being condescending, All I mean I have tried to say to say is that I am disbelieving and currently I don't know.

I know you believe that Christ came to Earth, taught for 3 years and then dies for my sins. I accept you believe that, and thats's fine. I am fine with Chinese people believing that, I am even fine with them doing that in huge numbers. I am fine with China being atheistic under previous regimes. It does nothing to tell me that any of the Maoist ideas or their current ideas about Christianity are true. You and the really believe it, why should I? I do not think religious people are more stupid than I am. I know religious people of various stripes in my personal life who are certainly smarter than I am: Muslims, Hindus and Christians. I think you are saying I am too dumb to be convinced by any other their truths. I can tell you that I have asked, I want to know and I am 47 years old and have never had an answer. 

I cannot prove to you over the internet that I have, but I would appreciate it if you take me at my word.

I have read the holy books of more faiths than most do, and I know I am not a genius.

But divine silence from all.

Why am I defective, when I can honestly say that I want to know if gods are real?

(July 6, 2017 at 5:26 pm)JackRussell Wrote:
(July 6, 2017 at 4:54 pm)SteveII Wrote: 1. I agree. However, that does not mean the fact is meaningless. It would at least indicate that the belief is compelling to those that have changed their mind. 
2. China has been ruled by atheistic communist since 1949. That's two generations that have been told there is no God. It is still not the easiest path to declare oneself a Christian. Yet, we find the growth there unprecedented.
3. First, if your meaning is that religious people are somehow lacking in those things, that's condescending and unwarranted. Secondly, secular morality does not in any way guarantee well-being, personal responsibility, or culture. Exhibit A: Joseph Stalin. 
4. What more demonstration can there be that coming to earth, teaching for 3 years, and then dying on a cross to the redemption of mankind? On top of that, talk to some real Christian's whose live have been changed and have witness God working in their lives and of those around them. Why don't you sincerely ask God to show you if he is real? 
5. Wouldn't think of saying you don't want to know. My advice is not to drink the atheist coolaid uncritically. Keep an open mind and seek out the best of the best on both sides. New Atheists are not the best atheist thinkers by a long shot. Unfortunately that's the low-brow arguments you most often hear on this site (knowledge a mile wide and an inch deep).

Well, it seems again I am being condescending, All I mean I have tried to say to say is that I am disbelieving and currently I don't know.

I know you believe that Christ came to Earth, taught for 3 years and then dies for my sins. I accept you believe that, and thats's fine. I am fine with Chinese people believing that, I am even fine with them doing that in huge numbers. I am fine with China being atheistic under previous regimes. It does nothing to tell me that any of the Maoist ideas or their current ideas about Christianity are true. You and the really believe it, why should I? I do not think religious people are more stupid than I am. I know religious people of various stripes in my personal life who are certainly smarter than I am: Muslims, Hindus and Christians. I think you are saying I am too dumb to be convinced by any other their truths. I can tell you that I have asked, I want to know and I am 47 years old and have never had an answer. 

I cannot prove to you over the internet that I have, but I would appreciate it if you take me at my word.

I have read the holy books of more faiths than most do, and I know I am not a genius.

But divine silence from all.

Why am I defective, when I can honestly say that I want to know if gods are real?

Sorry, don't mean to be a dick and self quote.

Wanted to add that it wouldn't matter if I was the only atheist on a planet of xBillion.

Difficult ideas can take time to take hold and pattern seeking mammals can be hard to convince. At least I am happy that I know that I can be wrong. But to change my mind but that will require evidence. The fact that your evidence hasn't connived me, to my my simple mind at least, means you must show me why I am being unreasonable. Given that this forum exists, it would seem I am not alone and nobody has demonstrated that the majority that hold the counterpoint have demonstrated their rational belief. If anybody could this debate and forum should not exist.

Even more dickish posting, sorry.

Don't know what a New Atheist is?

Messages In This Thread
Religious Background - by Der/die AtheistIn - June 30, 2017 at 12:43 pm
RE: Religious Background - by Mister Agenda - June 30, 2017 at 12:52 pm
RE: Religious Background - by brewer - June 30, 2017 at 1:13 pm
RE: Religious Background - by Der/die AtheistIn - June 30, 2017 at 3:46 pm
RE: Religious Background - by brewer - June 30, 2017 at 5:02 pm
RE: Religious Background - by The Industrial Atheist - June 30, 2017 at 1:18 pm
RE: Religious Background - by Astonished - June 30, 2017 at 6:38 pm
RE: Religious Background - by Der/die AtheistIn - July 1, 2017 at 2:08 pm
RE: Religious Background - by Chad32 - July 1, 2017 at 2:44 pm
RE: Religious Background - by Astonished - July 1, 2017 at 4:28 pm
RE: Religious Background - by SteelCurtain - June 30, 2017 at 7:24 pm
RE: Religious Background - by Chad32 - June 30, 2017 at 8:18 pm
RE: Religious Background - by chimp3 - July 1, 2017 at 2:24 pm
RE: Religious Background - by Der/die AtheistIn - July 1, 2017 at 2:45 pm
RE: Religious Background - by brewer - July 1, 2017 at 3:06 pm
RE: Religious Background - by Der/die AtheistIn - July 2, 2017 at 7:04 am
RE: Religious Background - by brewer - July 2, 2017 at 7:23 am
RE: Religious Background - by Alex K - July 2, 2017 at 7:24 am
RE: Religious Background - by Alex K - July 1, 2017 at 3:43 pm
RE: Religious Background - by SteveII - July 3, 2017 at 10:20 am
RE: Religious Background - by brewer - July 3, 2017 at 10:29 am
RE: Religious Background - by viocjit - July 3, 2017 at 10:52 am
RE: Religious Background - by Der/die AtheistIn - July 3, 2017 at 11:07 am
Religious Background - by TheBeardedDude - July 3, 2017 at 11:05 am
RE: Religious Background - by SteveII - July 3, 2017 at 11:16 am
RE: Religious Background - by Succubus - July 3, 2017 at 11:34 am
RE: Religious Background - by Der/die AtheistIn - July 3, 2017 at 11:21 am
RE: Religious Background - by SteveII - July 3, 2017 at 1:28 pm
Religious Background - by TheBeardedDude - July 3, 2017 at 11:25 am
RE: Religious Background - by SteveII - July 3, 2017 at 11:41 am
RE: Religious Background - by Foxaèr - July 6, 2017 at 10:05 am
RE: Religious Background - by JackRussell - July 3, 2017 at 11:42 am
RE: Religious Background - by Der/die AtheistIn - July 3, 2017 at 12:07 pm
Religious Background - by TheBeardedDude - July 3, 2017 at 11:51 am
RE: Religious Background - by SteveII - July 3, 2017 at 3:56 pm
RE: Religious Background - by JackRussell - July 3, 2017 at 4:02 pm
RE: Religious Background - by brewer - July 3, 2017 at 4:12 pm
RE: Religious Background - by SteveII - July 3, 2017 at 4:44 pm
RE: Religious Background - by Succubus - July 3, 2017 at 12:11 pm
RE: Religious Background - by Der/die AtheistIn - July 3, 2017 at 12:15 pm
RE: Religious Background - by Succubus - July 3, 2017 at 12:29 pm
RE: Religious Background - by Der/die AtheistIn - July 3, 2017 at 3:15 pm
RE: Religious Background - by Succubus - July 3, 2017 at 3:35 pm
Religious Background - by TheBeardedDude - July 3, 2017 at 4:11 pm
RE: Religious Background - by SteveII - July 3, 2017 at 5:56 pm
Religious Background - by TheBeardedDude - July 3, 2017 at 6:15 pm
RE: Religious Background - by SteveII - July 3, 2017 at 10:26 pm
RE: Religious Background - by Wyrd of Gawd - July 3, 2017 at 10:03 pm
RE: Religious Background - by Godscreated - July 3, 2017 at 11:40 pm
RE: Religious Background - by Wyrd of Gawd - July 4, 2017 at 2:31 am
RE: Religious Background - by Godscreated - July 4, 2017 at 4:51 pm
Religious Background - by TheBeardedDude - July 4, 2017 at 8:17 am
RE: Religious Background - by SteveII - July 4, 2017 at 9:10 am
Religious Background - by TheBeardedDude - July 4, 2017 at 9:33 am
RE: Religious Background - by SteveII - July 4, 2017 at 1:54 pm
Religious Background - by TheBeardedDude - July 4, 2017 at 2:29 pm
RE: Religious Background - by SteveII - July 5, 2017 at 5:09 pm
Religious Background - by TheBeardedDude - July 4, 2017 at 3:45 pm
Religious Background - by TheBeardedDude - July 4, 2017 at 5:22 pm
RE: Religious Background - by JackRussell - July 5, 2017 at 5:23 pm
RE: Religious Background - by SteveII - July 5, 2017 at 6:50 pm
RE: Religious Background - by Foxaèr - July 5, 2017 at 7:03 pm
RE: Religious Background - by SteveII - July 6, 2017 at 8:37 am
RE: Religious Background - by TheBeardedDude - July 6, 2017 at 9:19 am
RE: Religious Background - by SteveII - July 6, 2017 at 9:47 am
RE: Religious Background - by TheBeardedDude - July 6, 2017 at 9:56 am
RE: Religious Background - by SteveII - July 6, 2017 at 10:28 am
RE: Religious Background - by TheBeardedDude - July 6, 2017 at 10:32 am
RE: Religious Background - by SteveII - July 6, 2017 at 10:46 am
RE: Religious Background - by TheBeardedDude - July 6, 2017 at 11:04 am
RE: Religious Background - by SteveII - July 6, 2017 at 11:41 am
RE: Religious Background - by TheBeardedDude - July 6, 2017 at 11:48 am
RE: Religious Background - by SteveII - July 6, 2017 at 1:26 pm
RE: Religious Background - by TheBeardedDude - July 6, 2017 at 3:28 pm
Religious Background - by TheBeardedDude - July 5, 2017 at 5:50 pm
Religious Background - by TheBeardedDude - July 5, 2017 at 6:59 pm
RE: Religious Background - by vorlon13 - July 5, 2017 at 7:05 pm
RE: Religious Background - by JackRussell - July 6, 2017 at 3:41 pm
RE: Religious Background - by SteveII - July 6, 2017 at 4:54 pm
RE: Religious Background - by JackRussell - July 6, 2017 at 5:26 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Religious moderates enable religious extremists worldslaziestbusker 82 33062 October 24, 2013 at 8:03 pm
Last Post: Optimistic Mysanthrope