Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 12, 2024, 2:16 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
To our Muslim/Christian members & all faiths....
RE: To our Muslim/Christian members & all faiths....
(July 29, 2017 at 10:30 am)Catholic_Lady Wrote: Religion and science are 2 different fields, and need not be in conflict with each other, per se. Unless your religious doctrine teaches something that directly contradicts a proven scientific fact (like that the earth is 6000 years old or whatever), there's no reason why the 2 need to be mutually exclusive. We had science class in my catholic grade school, and we learned about space, evolution, the big bang, and dinosaurs. And then we had religion class where we'd learn about religious history and catholic doctrines. It never once crossed my mind for there to be an inherent issue between the 2 subjects. It was no diffetent than learning how to add in math class, and then learning how to read in english class. Just 2 different fields.

I did start watching the show last night when I got home from my friends house. It's very good. Thanks for posting it brian. I got to almost half way before turning in to go to bed because it was late. I will finish watching tonight if I don't stay out too late.

NO, they are totally unrelated, they are not equal in the slightest. Religion is a personal belief, science is an objective neutral tool. 

The trend to call religion and science separate but equal is more recent in the last century. And again Christianity is not the only one that that argues "separate but equal". 

Science DOES have something to say about religion. There is a biological evolutionary reason humans make them up and buy and sell them, that is the real reason religions exist, not that they are true.

Richard Dawkins "The God Delusion" explains the evolutionary psychology as to why god claims get created and why religions get created.  

Ad to that two other books,

Victor Stenger, " God The Failed Hypothesis"

But more importantly his other book, "The New Atheism" which goes into more detail about science he also compares multiple world religions t point out that our species ability to be cruel or compassionate is in us, not the holy writings themselves. He points out the tropes of charity and compassion you find in Islam and Buddhism too. 

There is no "separate but equal". There is no splitting the baby. There simply is no polite way to say when the religions of antiquity worldwide were written nobody had any clue or had any way at all to know what we know as a species now. That was then, and it was understandable because we didn't know any better as a species. But we have far better tools now.

Religions DO create awesome artwork and do depict our species ability to be compassionate, but that is not where human compassion is really coming from. Our behaviors are evolutionary, both good and bad. I like you CL not because you claim a holy book, but because I see empathy in you. You are good because of your genes and personality, unfortunately religion sold you the idea that it is handed down to you and I am telling you it was already in you.

I am glad you accept evolution and the big bang. I would merely suggest that if you can accept that, then maybe that is a better path and you don't need to try to square it with the past.

But no, I will not demand your arrest or barbecue your kittens if you stay in your religion. Just trying to get you to consider some things you might not have considered. My mom as you may have read was Catholic till the day she died and she was my hero and I will love her till the day I die. Lots of people here including me like you, some are closer to you than me sure. But we don't question you or challenge you to burst your bubble or hurt you, but merely to put it out there for you to consider. 

Besides, how angry can anyone get at an ABBA fan. Never hear in the news about an ABBA fan blowing things up or shooting abortion doctors. Good part about me is the worst thing I kill is a 6 pack and yell at my TV when the Skins suck huge donkey balls.

Darth is still going to offer you those evil cookies though.

Messages In This Thread
RE: To our Muslim/Christian members & all faiths.... - by Brian37 - July 29, 2017 at 10:56 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  When we close our eyes are we "seeing" dark or do our eyes shutdown? ErGingerbreadMandude 19 2597 December 9, 2017 at 6:10 am
Last Post: LastPoet
  Rank the top best scientists of all time. Of all time. [so far] Autumnlicious 28 9914 October 5, 2012 at 9:04 pm
Last Post: Jackalope