Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 7, 2024, 9:08 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Potentially Big News On The Human Evolution Front
RE: Potentially Big News On The Human Evolution Front
(November 20, 2017 at 12:19 pm)Brian37 Wrote:
(November 20, 2017 at 12:03 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: An interesting tid bit I learned in biology class back in the day....

Caucasians evolved to have a higher bridge of the nose with the tip pointed more downward because we were living around a lot of water. Having our noses that way helps to keep water from going up our nostrils when we are swimming. Also, our lighter skin color was evolved from being in a place that had less sun. We needed the lighter skin to absorb more vitamin d, because with darker skin you absorb less of it.

Makes sense when you think of blacks mostly coming from Africa where it's dry and very sunny vs Caucasians mostly coming from Europe where it's cloudy and has a lot of water.

I cannot understand how you can accept modern science rightfully, but still think an old book of mythology explains anything in modern terms. I feel the same way when Jews and Muslims and Hindus and Buddhists try to square modern science with old writings too. 

1. The God Delusion, Richard Dawkins
2. God, The Failed Hypothesis, Victor Stenger
3. The New Atheism, Victor Stenger

I was an atheist long before I read those books, but because of the science in them, the combo of those three gave me a much more solid picture of where our species evolution, including our universal traits come from, our empathy, our cruelty, but especially our false perceptions. 

If you accept the science then you should not cherry pick what it says when it conflicts with your own wishes. 

We are an outcome of natural processes, like all other life, we are not a product made by an invisible magical factory owner.

Most of us do.

It's reasonable to believe things evolved to be what they are currently, and we have evidence of it. But I still think it's unlikely that the first thing to ever have existed just popped into existence from nothing. Hence my belief in something that is not bound by the laws of nature. This opens up the possibility that the first thing to ever have existed isnt bound by time, didn't need an origin for which it came from, and could be infinite/always have existed.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh

Messages In This Thread
RE: Potentially Big News On The Human Evolution Front - by Catholic_Lady - November 20, 2017 at 12:45 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Big Day in History Minimalist 4 1998 October 20, 2014 at 6:15 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris