Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 10, 2024, 4:23 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alt. Hist. request, Vikings make a go of the "New World"?
RE: Alt. Hist. request, Vikings make a go of the "New World"?
(April 30, 2018 at 5:27 pm)Minimalist Wrote: The Vikings began their raids on Southern Europe and the British Isles in the mid 8th century so they had plenty of time to gain exposure to diseases before the Vinland escapade.  If they had contact with Native Americans they would have passed along their microbes.  Two things would have happened.  A lot of native-americans would have died ( we have no evidence for that) and the survivors would have passed their immunity along to their children and grandchildren and we have no evidence of that either.

So it makes more sense that L'Anse Aux Meadows was more of a temporary camp.  It certainly was not well fortified against any sort of attack.  Some replicas show a palisade but the question is where did the trees come from because the region looks pretty treeless.

Not much of the way of trees!
For the dieses argument i present the following and yes plenty of Inuit died 
http://www.strangehistory.net/2014/03/17...-americas/

The settlement was not fortified because thou the vikings skirmishes with the natives they were never in a full war with them . 

As for trees Newfoundland has plenty 
 [Image: forested-aeras-small.jpg]
Seek strength, not to be greater than my brother, but to fight my greatest enemy -- myself.

Inuit Proverb

Messages In This Thread
RE: Alt. Hist. request, Vikings make a go of the "New World"? - by Amarok - May 1, 2018 at 8:18 am