Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 10, 2024, 4:04 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alt. Hist. request, Vikings make a go of the "New World"?
RE: Alt. Hist. request, Vikings make a go of the "New World"?
Quote:The norse were building stone churches and monolithic barn structures on greenland (in addition to sod insulated dwellings), a snowhole is a snowhole...is a snowhole.  [Image: wink.gif]  
Not impressive and an igloo is still a better structure then both .

Quote:The idea that they "fucked up" on greenland is fantasy.  They did very well. It would be more accurate to conclude that the outposts no longer served a purpose and so, were abandoned, rather than that they failed. They lost interest and left. "They" being a generous way to describe whatever tiny handful of holdouts remained by that time, and the even tinier handful that couldn't leave..later. We're talking about the shitters who stick around after the only factory in town closed down decades prior, and the last family with a car had already left while the snow was piling up armpit high... here, lol.
Were still their they are not . Nough said .

Quote:Otherwise, the norse day to day life on greenland was remarkably like later innuit life..with the exception of the norse possessing superior tools in addition to substantial agricultural ability. Tools that the inuit would trade for themselves when the chance arose later down the line.
Were still using out tools not norse ones .
Seek strength, not to be greater than my brother, but to fight my greatest enemy -- myself.

Inuit Proverb

Messages In This Thread
RE: Alt. Hist. request, Vikings make a go of the "New World"? - by Amarok - May 2, 2018 at 1:13 am