Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 12:57 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Our role(s) as Christians on Atheist Forums
RE: Our role(s) as Christians on Atheist Forums
First, I would like to thank Tibs for generously setting up this debate/discussion and generously volunteering to moderate. That, in addition to all the other things he has done to create and preserve AF.

Second, I would like to apologize to the other participants. I initiated the creation of this conversation at the worst possible time for me personally. As such I do not have the time to give this flywheel the push needed to get the momentum going and my insights at the start will be meager at best. Thankfully CL, GC and alpha have filled that gap and I look forward to all the participants’ comments and responding to them as thoughtfully as possible.

By asking about the role of Christians on AF, I’m not concerned about our personal motives, such as finding community, verbally joisting, or playing games. I question, in general, if there are any justifications for Christians, as Christians, to participate on AF and if so what such reasons could be. Throughout this discussion I will argue that Christian participation on AF, and similar venues, does little to glorify God or further the Kingdom. Additionally, I will argue that participation on atheist forums, ultimately, is of little benefit to developing and strengthening an individual Christian’s faith.

Overall, I find myself echoing the sentiments of Alpha_male, i.e. if there is a good reason for us to subject ourselves to this kind of abuse, I would like to hear it. Alpha’s quotes are indeed the relevant texts. Psalm 1 advises us to not associate around with people who, by adopting the title of atheist, have already signaled their intentional rejection of belief. (I do not believe their self-delusion that an atheist simply lacks belief.) When you work with dirt, you get dirty.

I would further argue against Godscreated, Drich, and others about spreading the Gospel. This is not a mission field. It is the hard ground that will not accept the sower's seeds. Our participation on AF is not at all like going into places where sin and darkness dwell in ignorance. Those are people potentially yearning for hope who have not yet heard the Gospel. AF members do not yearn for hope. The Light dwells in the darkness and the darkness knew it not. This lot have put blankets of falsity over their windows having already closed their eyes to truth.

@ Catholic_Lady – you suggest that exposing yourself to the opinions and ideas on AF provides insight into the thoughts and feeling of other atheists with whom you interact elsewhere online or in real life. You also write about a desire to “engage with people of differing views”. But merely gaining insight has only personal value unless it in some way brings glory to God or builds the Kingdom. I see knowledge as a means to an end, not an end unto itself. As such, if you have no ambitions beyond educating yourself such as overcoming objections of non-believers so they may come to Christ or strengthening your faith to be more effective in other missions?

For me, learning about atheism is a non-issue. As a former atheist, I already had extensive knowledge of atheism as expressed by the major philosophers such as Russell, Nietzsche, and Sartre. The majority of AF atheists are New Atheist groupies who spit out one-liners the way candy pops out of Pez heads.

Enough for today.

@A Theist – please remember the “no quote” rule.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Our role(s) as Christians on Atheist Forums - by Neo-Scholastic - May 5, 2018 at 1:59 pm