Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 10:53 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Our role(s) as Christians on Atheist Forums
RE: Our role(s) as Christians on Atheist Forums
There's a story about an old Cherokee telling his Grandson that there is a battle between two wolves inside of him. One is evil, anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, hate,....
The other is good, joy, love, hope, humility, kindness.... The grandson thought for a moment then asked his grandfather, "Which wolf wins?" The old man replied, "The one you feed the most."

There's also another saying I read somewhere, probably a modification of a Khrushchev quote, "We'll bury you so gently, you won't even know you're dead."

Jesus told a parable about a Sower who went out and sowed seed. Some fell by the wayside. Some fell on stony ground, "And some fell among thorns; and the thorns sprung up, and choked them:", (thorns being the cares, riches, and pleasures of this life.) Luke 8:4-15

Keeping those things in mind and going to the question, "Is there anything that can be demonstrated, said, argued, proved,.........that would change your belief in God?" Most Christians, I would imagine, are pretty firm and established in their belief in God. So when Christians are confronted with anything that is argued, said, supposedly proved, isn't going to suddenly shake their belief. But that doesn't mean a Christian's faith and belief in God can't be slowly eroded away over time if they allow themselves to be distracted by worldly things and events and the personal struggles that surround them. Hence the parable of the Thorns. I remember years back that I had a dream where I was walking through a field of tall corn stalks. I came upon a clearing where there was a rusty antique car with a lot of other various collectible antiques stacked on top of it. I remember thinking to myself that those were valuable and I began gathering them up until my arms were full. As I began to walk away with my treasures I looked back and saw that I had overlooked an old Bible that was on the hood of the car. I remember thinking to myself, I bet that old Bible's valuable too. When I turned around to reach for it I didn't realize that I had become entangled in a big shrub of piercing thorns. As I tried over and over to reach for the Bible I became more entangled in the thorns as they dug into me. As my fingertips tried to grasp each page, it would tear away and I couldn't get a grip on it. Suddenly, the voice of God came to me in the dream, saying, "I'm going to clear a path." All of a sudden, there was a clearing where the tall stalks of corn were flattened and the thorns taken away. I was set free. It doesn't necessarily take a big event or a well argued point to shake a Christian's faith and belief in God. Many small things that distract in various ways can eat away at a Christian's faith and belief over time to where God at some point  seems very distant and no longer near as He once was.  Those Christians begin to neglect their prayer life to follow after a myriad of earth bound distractions, whether they be entertainments or personal struggles. They become spiritually lazy and begin to neglect Church attendance. They may also never find time anymore to open their Bibles. While they may claim to believe in God, in reality their faith is dead. They have become apostates without even realizing it. Hence, "We'll bury you so gently, you won't even know you're dead." So yes. It's possible that a Christian can lose faith and belief. This is why Jesus warned us to watch and take heed, for we don't know when the Master of the house is returning, whether it be evening, or at midnight, or in the morning: "Lest suddenly He find you sleeping. And what I say unto you, I say unto all, Watch." (Mark 13:32-37)

Which wolf wins?
"Inside every Liberal there's a Totalitarian screaming to get out"

[Image: freddy_03.jpg]

Quote: JohnDG...
Quote:It was an awful mistake to characterize based upon religion. I should not judge any theist that way, I must remember what I said in order to change.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Our role(s) as Christians on Atheist Forums - by A Theist - May 16, 2018 at 9:34 am