Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 3:24 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Our role(s) as Christians on Atheist Forums
RE: Our role(s) as Christians on Atheist Forums
(May 18, 2018 at 9:44 am)vulcanlogician Wrote: @A Theist

I think I may be able to clarify. One would expect the one true communication of the one true God to have scientific facts coming from the lips of God.

For instance, God may have reveled that the stars in the sky are in fact other suns. Genesis has God creating all the stars and other celestial bodies in one day and spending the rest of the time creating Earth. It seems very much like the accounts in the Bible are limited by what people knew 4,000-6,000 years ago. God could have dropped some hints about the water cycle or the periodic table of elements-- but he didn't. Jesus could have said that epilepsy is a neurological condition that has nothing to do with demons, but he didn't. etc, etc.

In the question submission thread, Drich answered the question by claiming that the Book of Revelation presents "an ancient understanding of modern war." Neo rejected this idea, favoring a more allegorical interpretation of the Apocalypse.

Does that clarify things enough for you to produce an answer, A Theist?

Thank you Vulcan. 

Actually your response only supports my concerns that the question without a specific topic in mind would only veer off into many different directions. In your own response, you said, 

Quote:For instance, God may have reveled that the stars in the sky are in fact other suns. Genesis has God creating all the stars and other celestial bodies in one day and spending the rest of the time creating Earth. It seems very much like the accounts in the Bible are limited by what people knew 4,000-6,000 years ago. God could have dropped some hints about the water cycle or the periodic table of elements-- but he didn't. Jesus could have said that epilepsy is a neurological condition that has nothing to do with demons, but he didn't. etc, etc.
....a topic that you and some others would probably like to see addressed, I presume(?)

Also in your response you pointed out how Drich and Neo would like to take the discussion. A totally different topic...
Quote:In the question submission thread, Drich answered the question by claiming that the Book of Revelation presents "an ancient understanding of modern war." Neo rejected this idea, favoring a more allegorical interpretation of the Apocalypse.

I went back to the questions submitted thread to chimp's original question. As I already knew, the topics varied and didn't even seem like they were actually addressing the question. Post #27, chimp's original question. Post #28 was Drich's response asking chimp for a specific to the question, and then he introduced the subject of Revelation. #29, Neo responded that a debate challenge with Drich over Revelations, 'Allegories vs Observations', may make for interesting fodder. #31, chimp responded to Drich and introduced a discussion on the Biblical moral basis for murder,....and more posts followed with more topics raised, all from one broad question. This is why I would like to see the question narrowed down to something more specific so that it doesn't stray off in different directions. In fact, why not discuss the topic you introduced in your response above? That would be specific to the question.
"Inside every Liberal there's a Totalitarian screaming to get out"

[Image: freddy_03.jpg]

Quote: JohnDG...
Quote:It was an awful mistake to characterize based upon religion. I should not judge any theist that way, I must remember what I said in order to change.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Our role(s) as Christians on Atheist Forums - by A Theist - May 18, 2018 at 11:00 am