Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 19, 2024, 10:52 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is a god?
RE: What is a god?
(September 4, 2018 at 10:40 am)Chad32 Wrote: In the case of many gods, it basically amounts to "Like us, but more powerful. Usually being related to a force of nature, or some aspect of Humanity like love". A popular concept is just some eldritch being that's both incomprehensible, and all powerful. Like a Lovecraftian abomination that may bless or punish you whether you worship it or not. And of course there's the idea that whatever you value most in your life becomes your god. Which is sort of stretching and diluting the concept, but whatever.

Personally I just view it as a tool. "Listen to me because I get orders from someone more powerful than you. Don't overthrow me, or you'll make him angry."

Love is the fuel of our power... the most important question in life to pose question, is one going to create what they devote their lives to (their purpose, their meaning, what they value most) or are they going to recognize it.

If we are going to recognize it and that thing is the Creator, how do we connect to it and do it.  And this where the name of God comes in, it's the love that points to and glorifies the Creator that it is directed to God as a perfect arrow aiming at him.

Love is the center of how we live our lives. 

You don't get to decide what ought to be valued most, you may choose what you value most, but even then, you won't truly believe in that for yourself except by means of falsehood, self-deception, and ignoring that we don't decide what ought to be valued most, but rather must accept it for what it is.

Moses, Aaron, etc, Jesus, Mohammad, Ali, etc, are all names of God that point to him. Loving them means appreciating God and connecting to Him, because that is what they do, they connect us to God. As they are the means to God and the way to know him, consequently they are the greatest gift and appreciating this gift is linked to appreciating God and valuing the path to Him.

Messages In This Thread
What is a god? - by pocaracas - September 4, 2018 at 6:37 am
RE: What is a god? - by purplepurpose - September 4, 2018 at 6:52 am
RE: What is a god? - by ignoramus - September 4, 2018 at 7:00 am
RE: What is a god? - by MysticKnight - September 4, 2018 at 10:16 am
RE: What is a god? - by Angrboda - September 4, 2018 at 10:24 am
RE: What is a god? - by pocaracas - September 4, 2018 at 10:31 am
RE: What is a god? - by MysticKnight - September 4, 2018 at 10:38 am
RE: What is a god? - by pocaracas - September 4, 2018 at 11:08 am
RE: What is a god? - by I_am_not_mafia - September 4, 2018 at 11:23 am
RE: What is a god? - by pocaracas - September 4, 2018 at 11:25 am
RE: What is a god? - by Abaddon_ire - September 4, 2018 at 11:12 am