Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 12:58 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[split] IF you deconverted in midlife, can you help?-NDE Discussion
RE: IF you deconverted in midlife, can you help?
(October 25, 2018 at 1:03 pm)Huggy74 Wrote: If your body/brain "is what is conscious" then explain this...

https://science.howstuffworks.com/life/i...-done1.htm

I'm not really sure I have to. The problem with anecdotal reports is that they weren't monitored under careful controls, to make sure the situations actually happened as reported. There is all sorts of room for interpretive bias in such situations, as well as for some people outright lying. People do lie and embellish their stories.

Further, reports can't be assessed in isolation. If 99% of the evidence says one thing but 1% of the evidence says another, and both can't be true, I would go with the 99%. Uncertainties of all kinds hover around the fringes of science, so scientists must think in terms of probabilities.

Even further, any spiritualistic explanation for consciousness requires the existence of a whole other spiritual dimension to reality. It is not the simplest explanation, so it is not the most likely explanation.

Finally, assuming for the moment that the occurrence was exactly as described, perhaps it's an indication of how the brain works in some way different than we presently know. I'm not sure why you or others would necessarily leap to a spiritualistic interpretation, which is certainly not a conservative assessment given other scientific studies.

Messages In This Thread
RE: IF you deconverted in midlife, can you help? - by Cod - October 24, 2018 at 5:48 am
RE: IF you deconverted in midlife, can you help? - by Alan V - October 25, 2018 at 11:58 am
RE: IF you deconverted in midlife, can you help? - by Alan V - October 25, 2018 at 4:15 pm
RE: IF you deconverted in midlife, can you help? - by Cod - October 25, 2018 at 5:06 pm
RE: IF you deconverted in midlife, can you help? - by Cod - October 25, 2018 at 5:48 pm
RE: IF you deconverted in midlife, can you help? - by Cod - October 25, 2018 at 6:13 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Nuh uh! was: [split] AF's very own list of Transitional Fossils professor 114 24800 December 2, 2014 at 5:39 pm
Last Post: Jenny A
  Discussion of supernatural activities Jose 32 8713 August 18, 2014 at 4:49 pm
Last Post: ShaMan
  Hypothetical discussion on souls MythRat 22 5129 February 10, 2014 at 8:41 am
Last Post: Ben Davis
  Hey, Assbutt! - A discussion about the paranormal side of things shiver23 24 10556 October 15, 2012 at 1:46 pm
Last Post: Rhizomorph13