Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 2:54 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[split] IF you deconverted in midlife, can you help?-NDE Discussion
RE: IF you deconverted in midlife, can you help?
(October 31, 2018 at 12:26 pm)Jörmungandr Wrote:
(October 30, 2018 at 11:36 am)Huggy74 Wrote: Nowhere in your source does it stat that Pam is experiencing an NDE, they repeatedly state she is having an OBE, the two are similar but different.

Some NDE's do experience having an OBE but you do not have to be near death to have and OBE, anyone is capable of having one.

I don't know which source you are referring to here as all the sources I have quoted do in fact refer to Reynolds' NDE as such, but it doesn't matter anyway.  It's true that people can have OBEs without having an NDE, but I'm not understanding what relevance you feel that fact has to do with our discussion.  Our dispute concerns whether certain veridical experiences during Pam Reynolds' OBE occurrred while her brain was flatlined.  Since the relevant experiences relate to the OBE portion of her NDE, your point is of no relevance to the current discussion.  If you had a specific intention in raising the issue that you feel is relevant to our discussion, please explain what it is.
*emphasis mine*
Taken from your link: https://digital.library.unt.edu/ark:/675...25-no4.pdf
[Image: au2K45C.png]

(October 31, 2018 at 12:26 pm)Jörmungandr Wrote:

That's fascinating, but this current discussion has to do with whether you were wrong when you claimed that, "according to the medical staff performing the surgery, she was able to recount conversation and the equipment used to perform the surgery, [and] this would have been during the time she was flatlined."  I can understand your wanting to change the subject and avoid facing up to the fact that you were wrong, but I'd prefer to finish this conversation before turning to other matters.  If you'd rather dishonestly deflect from your failure here by changing the subject, I can't stop you from doing so, but it will reflect rather poorly on you.
*emphasis mine*

You think I just made that up out of thin air? That is even what your own sources say that.

Taken from your own post.

(October 28, 2018 at 10:33 am)Jörmungandr Wrote:
Quote:"Sabom mentions a young American woman who had complications during brain surgery for a cerebral aneurysm. The EEG [electroencephalogram] of her cortex and brainstem had become totally flat. After the operation, which was eventually successful, this patient proved to have had a very deep NDE, including an out-of-body experience, with subsequently verified observations during the period of the flat EEG [emphasis mine] (van Lommel et al. 2044)."

Second, in his Immortal Remains—an assessment of the evidence for survival of bodily death—Stephen Braude erroneously describes the case as follows:

"Sabom reports the case of a woman who, for about an hour, had all the blood drained from her head and her body temperature lowered to 60 degrees. During that time her heartbeat and breathing stopped, and she had both a flat EEG and absence of auditory evoked potentials from her brainstem.... Apparently during this period she had a detailed veridical near-death OBE [emphasis mine] (Braude 274)."

YOU even emphasized those points, so how is it MY claim? My info is based on what Dr. Sabom wrote, HE'S the one that had access to the records...
(October 28, 2018 at 10:33 am)Jörmungandr Wrote:

So, looking at the timeline, it's obvious that her observation of the conversation regarding her veins and her observation of the equipment used to operate on her (the bone saw) occurred prior to her cortical activity flatlining.  So you were wrong, Huggy.  Now, I want you to acknowledge that you were wrong when you claimed that "she was able to recount conversation and the equipment used to perform the surgery, this would have been during the time she was flatlined." (here)

*emphasis mine*

Dodgy

Again that is not MY claim it's Dr. Sabom's claim.

[Image: jB06QkI.png]

(October 31, 2018 at 10:26 pm)KevinM1 Wrote:
(October 31, 2018 at 9:23 pm)Huggy74 Wrote: Get over yourself, not one Christian I know of addressed you or your OP. God gave you free will who am I to interfere? In any case I hope you find happiness, but I don't think you will, especially in asking advice from a group that's constantly depressed and suicidal...

Wrong.  Snowtracks quoted the OP and flat out told him we couldn't address his concerns.  See: https://atheistforums.org/post-1840344.html#pid1840344  Last I checked, he was on Team Christ.

Moreover, mental illness doesn't preclude one from offering good advice, nor is it a character flaw.

Didn't anyone ever explain to you that 'I' is a personal pronoun?

Therefore "not one Christian I know of addressed you or your OP." is speaking of me personally, seeing how I haven't read the whole thread, and even then he wasn't doing what Dragonfly accused him of doing.

(October 31, 2018 at 3:02 pm)Dragonfly Wrote: If god is so all-powerful, why would he need these vultures to help cram their shit down people's throats?

Messages In This Thread
RE: IF you deconverted in midlife, can you help? - by Cod - October 24, 2018 at 5:48 am
RE: IF you deconverted in midlife, can you help? - by Alan V - October 25, 2018 at 11:58 am
RE: IF you deconverted in midlife, can you help? - by Alan V - October 25, 2018 at 4:15 pm
RE: IF you deconverted in midlife, can you help? - by Cod - October 25, 2018 at 5:06 pm
RE: IF you deconverted in midlife, can you help? - by Cod - October 25, 2018 at 5:48 pm
RE: IF you deconverted in midlife, can you help? - by Cod - October 25, 2018 at 6:13 pm
RE: IF you deconverted in midlife, can you help? - by Huggy Bear - October 31, 2018 at 10:29 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Nuh uh! was: [split] AF's very own list of Transitional Fossils professor 114 24778 December 2, 2014 at 5:39 pm
Last Post: Jenny A
  Discussion of supernatural activities Jose 32 8713 August 18, 2014 at 4:49 pm
Last Post: ShaMan
  Hypothetical discussion on souls MythRat 22 5121 February 10, 2014 at 8:41 am
Last Post: Ben Davis
  Hey, Assbutt! - A discussion about the paranormal side of things shiver23 24 10547 October 15, 2012 at 1:46 pm
Last Post: Rhizomorph13