Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 1:50 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[split] IF you deconverted in midlife, can you help?-NDE Discussion
RE: IF you deconverted in midlife, can you help?
(October 31, 2018 at 10:29 pm)Huggy74 Wrote:
(October 31, 2018 at 12:26 pm)Jörmungandr Wrote: I don't know which source you are referring to here as all the sources I have quoted do in fact refer to Reynolds' NDE as such, but it doesn't matter anyway.  It's true that people can have OBEs without having an NDE, but I'm not understanding what relevance you feel that fact has to do with our discussion.  Our dispute concerns whether certain veridical experiences during Pam Reynolds' OBE occurrred while her brain was flatlined.  Since the relevant experiences relate to the OBE portion of her NDE, your point is of no relevance to the current discussion.  If you had a specific intention in raising the issue that you feel is relevant to our discussion, please explain what it is.
*emphasis mine*
Taken from your link: https://digital.library.unt.edu/ark:/675...25-no4.pdf
[Image: au2K45C.png]

Yes, he does refer to that part of her NDE as an OBE as well as referring to her overall experience as an NDE at other points in the article (e.g. "errors of fact greatly exaggerate the force of this NDE as evidence for survival after death"). As noted, OBEs sometimes occur without any corresponding elements of an NDE. When they do, however, the combined experience is considered an NDE and the OBE portion of it is considered an element of that NDE. This is perfectly consistent with Augustine's account as well as with what I said above that all the sources I had quoted refer to Pam Reynolds' experience as an NDE and consistent with standard usage. Additionally, some passages refer to specific parts of her NDE as an OBE. Exactly why you feel this is important or relevant I have no fucking idea. I asked you previously to explain what your intention in bringing it up was, but you chose to ignore my request. At best I can guess this is some reading comprehension fail like your example below. If it's something more than tell me what it is. What's your point, Huggy?

(October 31, 2018 at 10:29 pm)Huggy74 Wrote:
(October 31, 2018 at 12:26 pm)Jörmungandr Wrote:

That's fascinating, but this current discussion has to do with whether you were wrong when you claimed that, "according to the medical staff performing the surgery, she was able to recount conversation and the equipment used to perform the surgery, [and] this would have been during the time she was flatlined."  I can understand your wanting to change the subject and avoid facing up to the fact that you were wrong, but I'd prefer to finish this conversation before turning to other matters.  If you'd rather dishonestly deflect from your failure here by changing the subject, I can't stop you from doing so, but it will reflect rather poorly on you.
*emphasis mine*

You think I just made that up out of thin air? That is even what your own sources say that.

Taken from your own post.

Keith Augustine Wrote:"Sabom mentions a young American woman who had complications during brain surgery for a cerebral aneurysm. The EEG [electroencephalogram] of her cortex and brainstem had become totally flat. After the operation, which was eventually successful, this patient proved to have had a very deep NDE, including an out-of-body experience, with subsequently verified observations during the period of the flat EEG [emphasis mine] (van Lommel et al. 2044)."

Second, in his Immortal Remains—an assessment of the evidence for survival of bodily death—Stephen Braude erroneously describes the case as follows:

"Sabom reports the case of a woman who, for about an hour, had all the blood drained from her head and her body temperature lowered to 60 degrees. During that time her heartbeat and breathing stopped, and she had both a flat EEG and absence of auditory evoked potentials from her brainstem.... Apparently during this period she had a detailed veridical near-death OBE [emphasis mine] (Braude 274)."

YOU even emphasized those points, so how is it MY claim? My info is based on what Dr. Sabom wrote, HE'S the one that had access to the records...
(October 28, 2018 at 10:33 am)Jörmungandr Wrote:

So, looking at the timeline, it's obvious that her observation of the conversation regarding her veins and her observation of the equipment used to operate on her (the bone saw) occurred prior to her cortical activity flatlining.  So you were wrong, Huggy.  Now, I want you to acknowledge that you were wrong when you claimed that "she was able to recount conversation and the equipment used to perform the surgery, this would have been during the time she was flatlined." (here)

*emphasis mine*

Dodgy

Again that is not MY claim it's Dr. Sabom's claim.

[Image: jB06QkI.png]

First, I never claimed that you had simply made up the claim. And I did not say that it was your "claim" using claim as a noun, but that you "claimed," the verb, that those events occurred while Reynolds was flatlined. According to google, to claim, the verb, means to "state or assert that something is the case, typically without providing evidence or proof." You indeed were asserting that this was the case, even if you did provide support for your statement later. But you also went further than that. Upon being shown information which cast doubt upon Dr. Sabom's statement, instead of doing what I did and following the footnotes of Augustine's paper to the same information that I found wherein Sabom contradicted himself, you chose to double down and make an aggressive defense of your statement by making ridiculous ad hominem arguments against the Augustine paper. Even after I explicitly linked you to that information, you have continued to argue the point. And it's dishonest of you to bring up my quote of Sabom via Augustine as Augustine was in that passage drawing attention to how Sabom's claim was wrong, so trying to pass it off as something that I agreed with is just lying by quoting out of context. So, no, you didn't just pass off somebody else's claim. It became your claim when you restated Sabom's conclusions and then went on to aggressively defend his conclusions with additional arguments. But what is your ultimate point here, Huggy? That you're not responsible for the statements you make if they are based on something outside yourself? That's ludicrous! You wouldn't accept that for Khemikal's statement about bees or Pandemonium's statement about Denmark if they were to assert it, so why should it hold any weight with you? Indeed, if we can't hold you responsible for the statements you make, then I guess all your bloviation about how superior you are to atheists and what a critical thinker you are don't hold water because you aren't the one responsible for the statements you've made. You are responsible for the things you post, the arguments you make, and the beliefs you hold. That is just common sense. So exactly what point are you trying to make here by pointing out that "the claim" was Dr. Sabom's? What the fuck are you on about, other than muddying up the waters with more irrelevancies and red herrings?

Now, you ignored my prior request for an acknowledgement that you were wrong when you stated that, "she was able to recount conversation and the equipment used to perform the surgery, this would have been during the time she was flatlined." Were you or were you not wrong when you said this?
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]

Messages In This Thread
RE: IF you deconverted in midlife, can you help? - by Cod - October 24, 2018 at 5:48 am
RE: IF you deconverted in midlife, can you help? - by Alan V - October 25, 2018 at 11:58 am
RE: IF you deconverted in midlife, can you help? - by Alan V - October 25, 2018 at 4:15 pm
RE: IF you deconverted in midlife, can you help? - by Cod - October 25, 2018 at 5:06 pm
RE: IF you deconverted in midlife, can you help? - by Cod - October 25, 2018 at 5:48 pm
RE: IF you deconverted in midlife, can you help? - by Cod - October 25, 2018 at 6:13 pm
RE: IF you deconverted in midlife, can you help? - by Angrboda - November 3, 2018 at 4:58 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Nuh uh! was: [split] AF's very own list of Transitional Fossils professor 114 24803 December 2, 2014 at 5:39 pm
Last Post: Jenny A
  Discussion of supernatural activities Jose 32 8713 August 18, 2014 at 4:49 pm
Last Post: ShaMan
  Hypothetical discussion on souls MythRat 22 5129 February 10, 2014 at 8:41 am
Last Post: Ben Davis
  Hey, Assbutt! - A discussion about the paranormal side of things shiver23 24 10556 October 15, 2012 at 1:46 pm
Last Post: Rhizomorph13