Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 8:24 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is the next age? (i.e., industrial age)
RE: What is the next age? (i.e., industrial age)
You know I remember back in 2012 I wrote on some forum that last decade (00s) was kind of a DVD decade (talking tech-wise) and that this decade (10s) will be about viral stars - and I guess I was right.
Looking into upcoming decade (20s) it seems that nothing significant will happen. I guess for the last two decades perhaps the only thing that was going on technologically were development of mobile phones and (mostly this decade) digitalization of information in a way that people are less and less buying books and even less movies on material media. So when it comes to mobile phones it seems they pretty much reach their peak. I don't see that anything significant will happen there like it was the smartphone - I mean sure there will be ones with more memory and better cameras but that negligible of how accessive and useful smartphone has become from last decade to this.
And when it comes to digitalization that will also continue, but let's face it there is already almost every book available on internet and people don't even buy movies in solid states.

What is the next big thing could be that could be compared to mobile phones? First of all it's the robotization like Robot butlers and self driving cars. Then perhaps next on the scale could be electric cars, next wave of energy harnessing technology, space exploration.

But none of those things will happen in the next decade. Robot butlers are at least decade away; switching to electric cars will continue but not significantly; when it comes to energy we could be witnessing changes on massive scales at least to renewable that we have today, but there aren't any mass policies for that (although some countries are planning to switch to renewable like GB and Germany and even China is constantly planning to do something) and not to mention new nuclear power plants that also seem far away unless there are some aggressive policies to develop them; and when it comes to space exploration there aren't any plans to send people to Mars or probes to dive into oceans of the moons that have them.

So it seems that on surface upcoming decade will be same-old same-old. But it will be preparation and development for the decades to come when we will have robot butlers that will wipe our asses for us.

Messages In This Thread
What is the next age? (i.e., industrial age) - by Aegon - January 29, 2019 at 8:09 pm
RE: What is the next age? (i.e., industrial age) - by brewer - January 29, 2019 at 9:28 pm
RE: What is the next age? (i.e., industrial age) - by no one - January 30, 2019 at 2:38 pm
RE: What is the next age? (i.e., industrial age) - by Alan V - January 30, 2019 at 5:03 pm
RE: What is the next age? (i.e., industrial age) - by Dr H - January 31, 2019 at 8:47 pm
RE: What is the next age? (i.e., industrial age) - by Fake Messiah - March 25, 2019 at 6:00 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Captcha - what next? zvi 9 2545 June 23, 2012 at 12:19 am
Last Post: Faith No More