Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 9:59 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is the next age? (i.e., industrial age)
RE: What is the next age? (i.e., industrial age)
As far as I'm aware, there is no way of accurately predicting the future .I'm not sure your prediction may be reasonably made..

In the nineteenth century, in England, a local bishop declared that nothing more of importance could possibly be invented, as anything important had already been invented.

Don't know about you, but I didn't see the micro chip coming. it took me over a decade to grasp its importance. Some years ago, there was an announcement that the limits of the silicon chip had been reached. The next goal was to replace it with the carbon molecule.

Of course, i have no idea what advances will be made in say AI. I also think it's likely than further advances will be made in solar energy, especially in the size of solar a panels. I'm not convinced that battery technology has reached its limits. At present, batteries are far too big and far too expensive for mass use..

in 1970, Alvin Toffler wrote "Future Shock". He claimed that in the coming years the rate of change would exceed peoples' ability to keep up with it. This before the microchip. My perception is that we have been in that situation for over 20 years. The rate of change has not stopped. I suspect our capacity to keep up has diminished. Mine certainly has, but I think that's probably age.

Of course, it could just be that I'm seeing all of this through the lense of age. .I guess we'l have to wait and see.

Messages In This Thread
What is the next age? (i.e., industrial age) - by Aegon - January 29, 2019 at 8:09 pm
RE: What is the next age? (i.e., industrial age) - by brewer - January 29, 2019 at 9:28 pm
RE: What is the next age? (i.e., industrial age) - by no one - January 30, 2019 at 2:38 pm
RE: What is the next age? (i.e., industrial age) - by Alan V - January 30, 2019 at 5:03 pm
RE: What is the next age? (i.e., industrial age) - by Dr H - January 31, 2019 at 8:47 pm
RE: What is the next age? (i.e., industrial age) - by fredd bear - March 25, 2019 at 6:37 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Captcha - what next? zvi 9 2545 June 23, 2012 at 12:19 am
Last Post: Faith No More