Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 12:53 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is the next age? (i.e., industrial age)
RE: What is the next age? (i.e., industrial age)
(March 26, 2019 at 12:22 pm)tackattack Wrote: I don't think it's peaked, but let's look at the "instant communication age" we're in.

Advancements:
Library expansion
information storage,computation, transmission  and availability increased exponentially
expansion of Global markets (economics, jobs, ideas, etc.)
Automation
AI
Internet governance
Attention economy
I'm sure there's more

What conclusion can we draw from the effects of these on people and their motivation?

Library expansion is  especially interesting to  me.  Most decent libraries  have already finished or are the process of digitalising all of their books. At the same time, I have the impression that people are reading less, but I can't prove that.

I read almost nothing these days, but I think that may be an age thing. My concentration span has shrunk.  That's why it's so important to me to spend time on an internet forum;  I have to concentrate, usually for over an hour.

Nor sure what you mean by attention economy. Do you mean we concentrate for shorter periods on more things?

I've got the gist I think, and tend to agree.

Not sure what  specific inferences may be reasonably made. Broadly, all of these things show me how inventive, motivated, and driven we are as species. Historic disasters have also shown how resilient we are as a species.

Messages In This Thread
What is the next age? (i.e., industrial age) - by Aegon - January 29, 2019 at 8:09 pm
RE: What is the next age? (i.e., industrial age) - by brewer - January 29, 2019 at 9:28 pm
RE: What is the next age? (i.e., industrial age) - by no one - January 30, 2019 at 2:38 pm
RE: What is the next age? (i.e., industrial age) - by Alan V - January 30, 2019 at 5:03 pm
RE: What is the next age? (i.e., industrial age) - by Dr H - January 31, 2019 at 8:47 pm
RE: What is the next age? (i.e., industrial age) - by fredd bear - March 26, 2019 at 6:00 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Captcha - what next? zvi 9 2545 June 23, 2012 at 12:19 am
Last Post: Faith No More