Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 8:46 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Musings about omnipotence and perfection.
RE: Musings about omnipotence and perfection.
(February 9, 2011 at 1:09 am)Ryft Wrote: With all due respect to you (and I do), it should be self-evident that they do not say the same thing. To say "God cannot actualize X" says something about God and nothing about X;

If that is all you were trying to claim then I agree that they don't say the same thing so much as they mean the same thing, we are talking about the abilities of an omnipotent entity that has the power to perform all members of U, to ask what this being could not perform yeilds the same answer as asking 'what statements are not things that can be performed' thus I see no reason to think it is more exact to use one over the other.

Quote:it could be that X is capable of being actualized but God is limited by some inability.

An inability such as?

Quote: But that is at once both obfuscating and necessarily false, where X is a self-contradicting state of affairs, because it carries the implication that the law of non-contradiction is only contingently true, that self-contradictions are only impossible extrinsically, that there is no such thing as logically impossible, tossing logic out the window as meaningless. It implies that self-contradicting states of affairs are not necessarily (intrinsically) impossible; they are just contingently (extrinsically) impossible but actualizable given the right circumstances.

For clarity, do you have an example?

Quote:Thus it is more correct to say "X is incapable of actualization," which says something about X and nothing about God; it makes the crucial and substantive point that self-contradictions are impossible intrinsically, that there is such a thing as logically impossible, that the law of non-contradiction is necessarily true, affirming logic as meaningful. It implies that self-contradicting states of affairs are necessarily (intrinsically) impossible, never actualizable by definition regardless of circumstances.

I'm on board with all of this already, my point put simply was that they yeild the same results. Perhaps the example I requested above of the exception might help...

Quote:If statement A says something about God and nothing about X, and statement B says something about X and nothing about God, then statement A and B do not say the exact same thing—especially when statement A implicitly denies the fundamental laws of logic and statement B explicitly upholds them.

What exactly are you using as example A and for what reasons does it deny the fundamental laws of logic?

Quote:
theVOID Wrote:I see no problem in saying, "I cannot produce that which is logically impossible."

The problem lies in the implication that you COULD if given the right circumstances.

How so? I could say "I cannot produce a square circle" and that doesn't in any way imply that i could create such a thing given different circumstances.

Messages In This Thread
Musings about omnipotence and perfection. - by Edwardo Piet - January 18, 2011 at 6:22 am
RE: Musings about omnipotence and perfection. - by Ashendant - January 18, 2011 at 6:30 am
RE: Musings about omnipotence and perfection. - by Darwinian - January 18, 2011 at 6:31 am
RE: Musings about omnipotence and perfection. - by Watson - January 21, 2011 at 11:00 am
RE: Musings about omnipotence and perfection. - by theVOID - February 8, 2011 at 9:19 pm
RE: Musings about omnipotence and perfection. - by Watson - January 21, 2011 at 1:05 pm
RE: Musings about omnipotence and perfection. - by Watson - January 23, 2011 at 4:09 am
RE: Musings about omnipotence and perfection. - by FadingW - January 22, 2011 at 7:44 pm
RE: Musings about omnipotence and perfection. - by Ryft - January 29, 2011 at 10:43 pm
RE: Musings about omnipotence and perfection. - by Ryft - January 30, 2011 at 10:33 pm
RE: Musings about omnipotence and perfection. - by Minimalist - January 30, 2011 at 11:42 pm
RE: Musings about omnipotence and perfection. - by annatar - January 30, 2011 at 1:04 am
RE: Musings about omnipotence and perfection. - by annatar - February 1, 2011 at 7:27 am
RE: Musings about omnipotence and perfection. - by Rwandrall - February 4, 2011 at 8:18 pm
RE: Musings about omnipotence and perfection. - by Ryft - February 5, 2011 at 11:30 pm
RE: Musings about omnipotence and perfection. - by Rayaan - February 7, 2011 at 3:36 am
RE: Musings about omnipotence and perfection. - by Ryft - February 8, 2011 at 3:00 am
RE: Musings about omnipotence and perfection. - by theVOID - February 8, 2011 at 10:34 pm
RE: Musings about omnipotence and perfection. - by Ryft - February 9, 2011 at 1:09 am
RE: Musings about omnipotence and perfection. - by theVOID - February 9, 2011 at 4:12 am
RE: Musings about omnipotence and perfection. - by Ryft - February 10, 2011 at 4:19 am
RE: Musings about omnipotence and perfection. - by theVOID - February 15, 2011 at 8:08 pm
RE: Musings about omnipotence and perfection. - by Godschild - February 14, 2011 at 11:45 pm
RE: Musings about omnipotence and perfection. - by Speakeasy - February 15, 2011 at 12:29 am
RE: Musings about omnipotence and perfection. - by Speakeasy - February 15, 2011 at 4:22 am
RE: Musings about omnipotence and perfection. - by Rayaan - February 15, 2011 at 2:03 pm
RE: Musings about omnipotence and perfection. - by Watson - February 15, 2011 at 7:12 pm
RE: Musings about omnipotence and perfection. - by theVOID - February 16, 2011 at 5:48 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Gods supposed perfection MistressD 122 14152 November 5, 2014 at 7:04 am
Last Post: robvalue
  The logical consequences of omnipotence Esquilax 326 145833 February 9, 2013 at 6:54 pm
Last Post: Darkstar
  Permanent omnipotence? Edwardo Piet 90 13187 November 13, 2012 at 2:56 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko