Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 3:36 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
want a deeper conversation about atheism
RE: want a deeper conversation about atheism
(March 28, 2019 at 4:08 pm)fademm Wrote: Greetings internet forum! 

I grew up atheist / culturally Christian and never really thought about my beliefs that deeply and now have a few confusions. Is atheism like a religion in that one can not believe in god without there being proof that god does not exist, or must every belief be based in proof? I don't have a solid proof that god exists or does not exist, but don't believe in god. Maybe I'm just too dumb to have a proof that god(s) don't exist immediately offhand... 

What are peoples thoughts on this? Is there a way to logically argue that god does not exist or can one simply have a belief that god dose not exist?

Welcome to the Forum.

No, you don't have to have proof that God doesn't exist in order to be an atheist.  All that is required is that you lack the belief in godly existence.

That being said, it's never a bad idea to at least familiarize yourself with the arguments for and against the existence of God, as theists are never shy about asking you.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson

Messages In This Thread
want a deeper conversation about atheism - by fademm - March 28, 2019 at 4:08 pm
RE: want a deeper conversation about atheism - by BrianSoddingBoru4 - March 28, 2019 at 4:41 pm
RE: want a deeper conversation about atheism - by fademm - March 28, 2019 at 5:08 pm
RE: want a deeper conversation about atheism - by brewer - March 28, 2019 at 7:33 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Young Adult Seeking Stimulating Theism Debates and Conversation Marshmallow 13 4378 September 28, 2012 at 10:04 am
Last Post: Marshmallow