Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 4:17 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What do you know today that you didn't know yesterday?
RE: What do you know today that you didn't know yesterday?
Three facts, two bizarre, one more mundane.

1) There is a cartoon called John Dillermand. It's a stop-motion cartoon about a man with a giant, prehensile penis. You might think it's just one of Adult Swim's worse shows. But it's actually made for children. In Denmark.

2) Our modern knowledge of how bird migration works is actually surprisingly recent. Not even on a level of "how do they know exactly where to roost in the winter." Europeans didn't even know where some birds went in the winter until 1822. They only found out when a stork arrived from a winter in South Africa... with an African arrow its neck. It still made it back to Europe in time to be killed by a hunter.

There were still several theories, but my favourite was that they wintered... on the fucking moon. No, I'm not kidding. Weirdly, people even argued that it was supported by Jeremiah 8:7.

3) There's this scene from Bluey:

Until recently, I just assumed it was one of the most random bowdlerisations Disney made of the show, like they didn't want kids to know France was a thing, but it turned out there was actually a reason. Apparently, the Argentine and the Frenchdog were currently working on the strawberry farm where the Russells found them, but someone pointed out that having a Latin American working as a farm labourer had some... racial connotations, so they decided that to have the Frenchdog explain that they were backpackers to eliminate those implications. Even though there’s no backpacks in sight.

Even though, from what I understand, when Argentinians emigrate to the US, they tend to be far less likely to be the desperate, huddled masses that farmers are willing to exploit for cheap labour.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.

Messages In This Thread
RE: What do you know today that you didn't know yesterday? - by Rev. Rye - June 9, 2023 at 7:26 pm
I seriously DID NOT know this. - by Brian37 - August 24, 2021 at 12:27 pm
RE: I seriously DID NOT know this. - by no one - August 24, 2021 at 12:36 pm
RE: I seriously DID NOT know this. - by Ravenshire - August 24, 2021 at 4:53 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How's the weather treating you today? Foxaèr 69 946 April 20, 2024 at 10:29 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  What did you know yesterday that you don't know today? Gawdzilla Sama 14 1086 December 4, 2023 at 9:43 am
Last Post: brewer
  Awfully quiet today. arewethereyet 29 2275 April 9, 2023 at 6:34 pm
Last Post: Secular Elf
  Happy Birthday to all the members who were "born" today! Jehanne 7 684 January 4, 2023 at 1:08 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  So much for going to town today. onlinebiker 11 1119 February 19, 2021 at 3:43 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  My uncle died from COVID19 today. Jehanne 17 1097 November 26, 2020 at 1:50 pm
Last Post: Losty
  Last movie you didn't watch Fake Messiah 43 2803 November 16, 2020 at 7:02 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  I heard from Rob today! ReptilianPeon 2 517 March 29, 2020 at 4:36 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Today was a good day...why? arewethereyet 35 3553 March 5, 2020 at 5:14 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  I just found out today. Brian37 2 642 February 12, 2020 at 2:27 pm
Last Post: Brian37