Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 7:31 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Mathematical Error of Prevailing Selfishness
RE: The Mathematical Error of Prevailing Selfishness
(September 28, 2021 at 4:00 pm)DLJ Wrote:
(September 28, 2021 at 3:32 pm)HappySkeptic Wrote: ...
Sounds like you have an idea for a dystopian movie. 

Movie or real life.

Insert an -archy or an -ocracy instead of 'The Group' and see if it fits.

Examples:  British monarchy, rogue institutions like the CIA or the Catholic Church or any Corporation (which is what I had in mind as I wrote the above) or even a professional sportsball club.  

Also, if you've ever been involved in BCP (business continuity planning) or DR (disaster recovery) you'll have spotted the benefits (even criticality) of switching to a dictatorship model to ensure the survival of The Group over the individual.  

Welcome to the dystopia.

I've been involved in BCP and I did not get that impression. We may have been doing it wrong, but the plan is to keep the business running and prevent anyone from losing their job if something bad happens like our buildings getting flooded. And since the plan was developed by consensus and consultation, it doesn't feel like a dictatorship model at all. By planning contingencies in advance we avoid having a single person (who might not even be alive if the disaster was really bad) be responsible for all the shot-calling in emergencies. We all know what we're supposed to do in various scenarios and we're well-trained enough to step up and adapt to unexpected contingencies. The group ensures maximum survival of the individuals in the group...there isn't a group without the individuals who make it up.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.

Messages In This Thread
The Mathematical Error of Prevailing Selfishness - by Duty - September 26, 2021 at 5:01 am
RE: The Mathematical Error of Prevailing Selfishness - by Duty - September 26, 2021 at 5:12 am
RE: The Mathematical Error of Prevailing Selfishness - by Duty - September 26, 2021 at 11:30 pm
RE: The Mathematical Error of Prevailing Selfishness - by DLJ - September 26, 2021 at 5:36 am
RE: The Mathematical Error of Prevailing Selfishness - by Duty - September 26, 2021 at 6:41 am
RE: The Mathematical Error of Prevailing Selfishness - by Duty - September 26, 2021 at 7:16 am
RE: The Mathematical Error of Prevailing Selfishness - by Duty - September 27, 2021 at 2:03 am
RE: The Mathematical Error of Prevailing Selfishness - by Duty - September 27, 2021 at 2:14 am
RE: The Mathematical Error of Prevailing Selfishness - by DLJ - September 28, 2021 at 3:53 am
RE: The Mathematical Error of Prevailing Selfishness - by DLJ - September 28, 2021 at 4:00 pm
RE: The Mathematical Error of Prevailing Selfishness - by DLJ - September 29, 2021 at 4:23 am
RE: The Mathematical Error of Prevailing Selfishness - by Mister Agenda - September 29, 2021 at 11:52 am
RE: The Mathematical Error of Prevailing Selfishness - by DLJ - September 29, 2021 at 3:08 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Category Error of Scientism Neo-Scholastic 55 10641 February 2, 2014 at 12:00 am
Last Post: Angrboda