Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 7:32 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My change to Atheism from Christianity (I'm 14)
RE: My change to Atheism from Christianity (I'm 14)

What's most important is you arrived at the decision yourself. Regardless of whether you held on to your old beliefs or cast them aside for new enlightenment, the important thing is your decision is not based on "someone told you so."

I don't know about the weak-minded part; that phrase has been used by all sides of the theistic debate to paint all the others with an ad hominen attack. (You don't think/believe as I do; you must be weak-minded, deluded, &c. It seems that using the non-judgemental words "You may be wrong" aren't insulting enough).

Many religious persons could hardly be classified as weak-minded; not a few atheists could be classified as "crackpots." (That is why I am on this forum now; the last one I was on could best be described as an "atheist E-tent revival.")

But, whatever position you've arrived at is best when it is by your own thoughts on the matter; likewise the ability to shift your position (as you have done) should it be shown to be inadequate.

I am not an atheist, so I don't suppose my opinion counts for much on this matter, but it seems to me a "thinking atheist" questions anything that smacks of appeal to authority, or ad hominen, or any other logical fallacy, including their own position. If atheism is a rational and reasonable position, then it should be able to stand up to questioning and scrutiny as a valid position.

That you have applied such scrutiny to your beliefs and found them wanting is good; as long as you always question and make your own mind up about such matters you probably won't go wrong.

James

"Be ye not lost amongst Precept of Order." - Book of Uterus, 1:5, "Principia Discordia, or How I Found Goddess and What I Did to Her When I Found Her."

Messages In This Thread
RE: My change to Atheism from Christianity (I'm 14) - by Anymouse - June 21, 2011 at 5:06 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What made you change your views? pulzar 29 8508 July 21, 2017 at 12:23 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  how to change from islam to atheist thanzi 21 4208 February 4, 2015 at 6:28 am
Last Post: Nope
  A journey from Christianity to Atheism snakeman21 11 5745 May 25, 2011 at 4:25 am
Last Post: Arcturus
  My Change Hopppppppp 16 8268 April 29, 2010 at 2:08 pm
Last Post: EggSpurt