Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 3, 2024, 4:30 am

Poll: Are Christian groups promoting "Jesusween" where you live to replace Hallowe'en?
This poll is closed.
Yes
11.11%
1 11.11%
No
88.89%
8 88.89%
Total 9 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Answer "Jesusween" with "athiestmas"
RE: Answer "Jesusween" with "athiestmas"
Some interesting ideas there. I particularly like the buyback thing; the only drawback I can imagine is you'd probably get kids deliberately going to the Jesus houses so as to have something to trade with you, thus making the Jesusween nutters think their crap is catching on. Here in the UK it doesn't seem to be much of a problem at the moment, in fact I wasn't even aware of it until I read about it on Pharyngula the other day.

To be honest, though, I find all this hair-splitting over names and things ridiculously petty and a distraction from the real battles. Ok, I know 'they' started it, and it may be more of a problem in countries where religion has a greater hold than it does here, but it seems to me we already have names for these holidays. Renaming one of them Jesusween or Atheistmas is far too contrived to have much of an impact beyond giving certain groups more publicity than they deserve. Personally I have no problem with calling certain days Christmas, Xmas, Easter, etc anymore than I do other religiously-named days such as Saturday, Wednesday or Thursday. The name is traditional and means nothing.

Just my two penn'orth.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'

Messages In This Thread
Answer "Jesusween" with "athiestmas" - by Anymouse - October 14, 2011 at 11:30 pm
RE: Answer "Jesusween" with "athiestmas" - by Cyberman - October 15, 2011 at 12:06 am
RE: Answer "Jesusween" with "athiestmas" - by Shell B - October 15, 2011 at 12:06 am
RE: Answer "Jesusween" with "athiestmas" - by Anomalocaris - October 15, 2011 at 12:09 am
RE: Answer "Jesusween" with "athiestmas" - by Shell B - October 15, 2011 at 12:12 am
RE: Answer "Jesusween" with "athiestmas" - by Minimalist - October 15, 2011 at 12:18 am
RE: Answer "Jesusween" with "athiestmas" - by BethK - October 15, 2011 at 12:21 am
RE: Answer "Jesusween" with "athiestmas" - by Justtristo - October 15, 2011 at 2:07 am
RE: Answer "Jesusween" with "athiestmas" - by Kayenneh - October 15, 2011 at 2:31 am
RE: Answer "Jesusween" with "athiestmas" - by Erinome - October 15, 2011 at 4:05 am
RE: Answer "Jesusween" with "athiestmas" - by Phaedra - October 15, 2011 at 4:11 am
RE: Answer "Jesusween" with "athiestmas" - by Justtristo - October 15, 2011 at 7:30 am
RE: Answer "Jesusween" with "athiestmas" - by thesummerqueen - October 15, 2011 at 7:13 pm
RE: Answer "Jesusween" with "athiestmas" - by Minimalist - October 15, 2011 at 7:27 pm
RE: Answer "Jesusween" with "athiestmas" - by Rev. Rye - October 15, 2011 at 8:10 pm